Sunday, October 01, 2023

Oblivion

 https://youtu.be/cb2LPcSH0H8?si=5B67kBbA5qmbD6rw


So, I return to my first blooging home.  WP keeps wanting more money, so back to Goofle free standard.  Oh well.

I have been working all year to zero out my business tax accounts and put a legal end to my corporation.  From here on out, I will be working as a sole practitioner, single professional.  To be even funnier, I am returning to the third floor of our house, which is where I started my personal practice.  Meanwhile, I have attorneys and accountants cutting me at the official levels.

What was it, 15 years ago, I moved to the top floor of a walk up?  I moved from a building just minutes from my house, to this building which was like 2 minutes from my home.  But at that point, I hired movers - it took 4 guys and two trucks - and they carried everything up.

At that point, I had several employees, but I haven't had those in some time.

Now, I am abandoning all my furniture (seriously, who still wants light tables)? and my the books are all either mfr info or sample books or are outdated (realistically I will not need cod books from 1989 ever again).


So I moved a bare minimum from the office and will be letting the building management know that they can dispose of the rest as they see fit.  I would call it bittersweet, but with the pandemic, I haven't really bothered with the office for a couple of years.  And I have developed some level of mobility issues, so the long flights of stairs have become a serious impediment.

Young Zombie helped me bring the several boxes home today, and then I am done.  I will reconfigure my iMacs for my home network, and then move on as best I can.


In the many years, one of my time wasting hobbies is building little models of imaginary spaceships.  And sometimes I did them in my office when nothing better was going on.  So we moved out with some of the best ones to take home and complete during my semi-retirement.  In a weird twist, this has been a most rewarding time for kit creators in this genre - although building plastic models is far outside mainstream interest, there have arisen several producers who worked overtime and used computer design to create the best ever kits ever available.

For instance, the Enterprise, which was the best selling kit ever made and has never been out of production.  But it was legendarily inaccurate.  Now, Polar Lights/ Round 2 have produced  small 1:1000 kits of the original and the Refit, that are as accurate as balls.  And they also, using the same CAD files, have produced 1:350 versions of both, as well as the NX-01 and now th Klingon Kronos. 

 And Moebius Models have produced a line of 2001 kit of the Discovery (in 2 scales), the EVA pod, the Space Clipper (in 2 scales) and the Moonbus.

And most significantly, Japanese manufacturer Bandai has secured the Star Wars license.  They have done an amazing 1:12 figure line of anybody with helmets and some robots (although they also did a Han Solo and Luke figure with really very good he'd sculpts) But have also done a lot of of other kits.  Most of them are on the small side, as the cost to get them in America reflects import costs, but also reflects the smaller display space of customers in Japan.  But they also pulled out all the stops to produce a 1/72 kit of the Millenium Falcon in their Perfect Grade line (familiar with anyone who have built their Gundam kits) That features every detail ever shown and even obsessives can't find fault.  

 


Prior to that, another Japanese Manufacturer Fine Molds (most noted for aircraft kits) ran off quite a few Star Wars kits, some really great versions of X-wings and Y-wings, and an addition bar-setting version of the Millenium Falcon.  Unlike th Bandai version which represented the New Hope version, the Fine Molds represented the Empire Strikes Back version.


 

Anyway, I brought those back from the closet of my office stash, so will be completing them in my weird semi-retirement.

In other news, my last project  received a Mayor's Design Award, which I believe is my sixth.  It also achieved final tax credit approval, so the developer is going to receive $3.6 million on a 9 million dollar project.  I am still waiting for a thank you or even a Deadpool High-five, but I regret not working for a percentage.

In any case, I digressed about my hobby because I am sad about my career.  

So, nobody will see this, as the blogger hood has evaporated.  So that's why I got all verklempt.  And more than a little bit drunk