Thursday, November 11, 2010

They'll Need A Crane

Inspired by drfitglass' recent post, I recall these conversations:

Tax Assessor:  Hello, Tax Assessment.

Z:  Hi, I live at (redacted) and we recently bought the house.  I see on our first new assessment, the value includes a detached garage.

TA:  Yes, I see that it does.

Z:  But we don't HAVE a garage.

TA.  The assessment says you do.

Z.  I am looking out the window at our driveway and I assure you there is no garage there. 

TA:  the assessor's visit notes indicate he saw a garage.

Z.  I would like for the assessor to come out here and show me this garage, because we have been parking our cars outside, and would like to begin using this garage.

TA.  The construction permit records indicate a garage was built there many years ago.

Z.  I am pretty sure it was torn down before we purchased the house.

TA.  the assessor came out to your property, looked around and noted that there was a garage.  accessed from (redacted street A).

Z.  O, I think I see what happened.  Although our address is (redacted street A), the house is on the corner and the driveway is on (redacted street B).  I believe he was looking up our neighbor's driveway and saw our neighbor's garage.

TA.  I assure you that our assessment inspectors rarely make mistakes.

Z.  And I assure you there is no garage on our property.  My survey, the mortgage, my house inspector, and REALITY all indicate the assessment is in error.

TA.  OK, sir, but we are unable to remove the garage from the assessment because a demo permit was never issued.

Z :  --------

TA:  Sir?

Z  ...are you suggesting that in order to reduce my tax assessment for the garage that doesn't exist, I need to obtain a demolition permit?  For a garage that doesn't exist?

TA.  You make it sound silly.


Later that day, at the permitting department.  I meet a young lady sitting at a desk behind a counter.  With a TYPEWRITER (wikiwakiwoo link for the kiddies).
Z:  Hello.

Permit Woman:  Can I help you?

Z:  I hope so.  I need to get a demolition permit for my garage.

PW:  OK.  (putting a form into the typewriter)  Name and Address?

Z:  Zombie.  (street redacted)

PW:  Reason for demolition?

Z:  I.... I don't know how to answer that.

PW:  (HEAVY sigh).  Well, why does the garage need to be torn down?

Z:  -----  (thinking about why a non existent garage may need to be further non-existentacized).

PW:  (increasingly exasperated)  Look, was it fire damaged?

Z.  (leaning on counter)  OK, here's the thing.  We just bought the house last year.  The Tax Assessor's office has mistakenly assessed us for a garage, that we are pretty sure was torn down before we bought the property.  You can still see some kind of foundation remnants.  But the Tax Man says he can't reduce our assessment because the demo permit was never issued.  So we don't have any idea WHY the garage was torn....

PW. Oh, I see.   (pulling form from typewriter, then yelling to a couple of desks over)  Lorraine!  I need a couple of  43-Bs over here! 

[time to draw a curtain over the scene, Kafka is getting irritated]

[We still don't have a garage.  But at least we're not getting charged for not having a garage.  Or having one, for that matter]

23 comments:

  1. As a Fannie Mae and FHA Underwriter who has been trained to make site visits, I will state that in my professional opinion, there is no garage at ZRM's house.

    There is a cat, a dog, and a 65 gallon tank full of fish.

    But no garage.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also recently gone missing: a deck and a largish Maple tree.

    And as of today, also a significant portion of basement wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And as of today, also a significant portion of basement wall.

    Time to move the bodies??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also recently gone missing: a deck and a largish Maple tree.

    And as of today, also a significant portion of basement wall.


    Do you have a permit for that? Otherwise you will be in trabl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also recently gone missing: a deck and a largish Maple tree.

    Were my prospective tenants over there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you have a permit for that?

    FUCK THE MAN!!!

    Also, bite me if I will pay for a licensed engineer or architect to sign off on .... O wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "you make it sounds silly" now rivaling "But honestly Monica" as best internet phrase of 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kathleen. That one makes me giggle, I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't see what you're complaining about. Lorraine had a couple of 43-Bs right there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time to move the bodies??
    Here one is tempted to quote lyrics involving "quicklime" and "girl".

    TA. You make it sound silly.
    Is that not your entire mission statement?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also recently gone missing: a deck and a largish Maple tree.

    Someone has been using you as the subject in an experiment on change blindness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How much do permits to demolish nonexistent things cost? I think having a permit to demolish a forty-foot penguin would be kind of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You could sell PZ Myers a license to demolish God.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I dibs on that business plan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah a largish Maple tree just appeared in our fucking backyard actually!!
    NOT FUNNY

    ReplyDelete
  16. In response to the pressure of competition the trees have learned to teleport.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Kafka guy did not fit in around the Riddled office too. How hard is it to remember Pastrami on Rye and pickled Squid on Nutella puree on Potato and Rosemary? too hard for him. Him and his mother ringing up all the time

    ReplyDelete
  18. In response to the pressure of competition the trees have learned to teleport.

    Someone needs to tell Neil that a rewrite is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You mean you didn't get fined for the days your demolished garage remained demolished without a permit?

    Milwaukee's gone soft.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is it now two weeks of misspelling driftglass? Or is this some sort of endorsement of Dr. Fit Glass in violation of some architectural code of ETHICS (HA) or something?

    ReplyDelete
  22. DR. FIT GLASSES IS AN OPTOMETRIST, MR. SMARTY SUBCHANCE MC GRATIVERSE!!

    Alos, I figure if Mr. Glass felt irritated about it enough, he would either mention it his own self, or ban me from his site.

    (after checking), OK, I was banned from driftglass' site. Point taken.

    ReplyDelete