Friday, November 05, 2010

Agents of Fortune

"Liberals got women the right to vote. Liberals got African-Americans the right to vote. Liberals created Social Security and lifted millions of elderly people out of poverty. Liberals ended segregation. Liberals passed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act. Liberals created Medicare. Liberals passed the Clean Air Act, the Clean Water Act. What did Conservatives do? They opposed them on every one of those things...every one! So when you try to hurl that label at my feet, 'Liberal,' as if it were something to be ashamed of, something dirty, something to run away from, it won't work, Senator, because I will pick up that label and I will wear it as a badge of honor."


Stolen, yes, and from TV, but none the less true for all that.

I am a liberal.  I will always be a liberal.  I am not going to be reticent about being a liberal.  And while I am a pacifist, I am FAR from an undefended and non-violent liberal.  Sometimes, I hope some War-Rascal Teabagger pulls hardware on me, because in this State, mortal threats allow me to uncork the full force of the self defense I have learned....

8 comments:

  1. What you need to be afraid of is those conservatives who will vote for thieves who will finish the job of stealing the country blind.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's to another lost decade.

    Let the bridges fall where they may.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liberals got women the right to vote.

    While I am totally on board with the sentiments, it was crazy religious people that were pivotal in freeing the slaves and getting women the right to vote. Liberals were not all that helpful for either one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn right.

    I like to think before I take that long dirt nap I'll get one more chance to do something good. For somebody.

    Bring it, sez I...

    ReplyDelete
  5. LIBERAL crazy religious peeps, senor fish.

    Zombies - LIBERAL zombies- got fish the right to vote....

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was people directly affected, taking direct action, that forced 'liberals' to agree that they needed to hitch their carts to one of those movements.

    liberals may have produced the result, but they were not the motive force. see more

    ReplyDelete
  7. We'll free the slaves and give women the right to vote, but we don't want the Irish!

    ReplyDelete