Friday, June 15, 2007

Ring Around The Moon




...and if there wasn't one, I still saw it last night.

Do you know how hard it is to take a picture while drinking tequila?

WARNING: Excessive penguins drinking tequila in Hawaiian restaurants may see subliminal messages appear on elegant socks.

At least, that's what it says on the back of this spanking new Free Hot Lunch CD, "Under The Big Top." It's of a show they taped back in 1993, viddied for Public TV but they had a good soundboard tape to work from also, and since it was PTV, they were able to ask for the rights- and get 'em.

As the setlist shows, "Ring Around The Moon" was the third encore, but apparently The Sailor's Prayer was the coda we were looking for, because the crowd was satisfied at that point. A shame, becasue "Ring" is such a pretty song. If I had the magical HTML skillz of BluGrrrl (or the servants with skillz, whatever) I would post it.

Gah, it was a very nearly perfect Wa-Ha night. Smoke-free show, so hard as it was on the nic-fitters, we got home without smelling like a three alarm fire. We grouped with old friends and new friends, and of course recognized most of the crowd from previous shows.

At this point IT MUST BE NOTED WITH ALL PROPS AND RESPECK KNUCKS that Zelmo and Amy, forging ahead while we waited for stragglers on the deck. MADE THE SCORE OF A LIFETIME, OR AT LEAST THE NIGHT by securing three tables RIGHT ON THE STAGE EDGE. we could have kissed the band. Actually, I think we did. I also think the rest of the crowd hated us. Z, I take back anything bad I've ever said about you, or will say in the future. You're alright, I don't care what those people say about you.

An olds talwart Andy even made the gig. I found it hilarious to watch him react as his body went into flashback mode, remembering the shows from twenty years ago. And to their credit, the band could still hit those harmonies. AND they could still drink the tequila. The first set hit most of the songs from the new disc some of which teh band forgot they had ever performed; in teh second set, they even played "Smoke Two Joints" Which I had never seen them do.

Of course, as audience members we did our part, heckling and kibitzing. Of course, we knew when to shut up, too, so hopefully nobody behind us got pissed. If so, we're sorry. Wa-Ha makes us giddy.

I just realized they finished up with some harcore drinking songs. "Wouldn't you like to be an alcoholic," "How Much Tequila Did I Drink Last Night," (That's a song name but also a darn good question. Although I did come home with my own pants on) "Tequila Sheila" and "Reiba's Cantina"

They also had verrrry interesting news. They will be vidding tomorrow's performance (so we'll make sure to wear our very BEST Hawaiian shirts) for a video release (tape or DVD, I don't know yet) and after that, Jeff Laramie siad they were going to do a movie called "The Last Mambo". That could be great! Better than the Tenacious D movie, certainly.

Got a meeting to go to. Feel sorry for Zelmo, who had one at 10 AM.

1 comment:

  1. I need a dozen interns to get me through this day.

    ReplyDelete