Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Advice From The Happy Hippopotamus

Bulletin from your ears:


Cloud Cult.

Thursday, January 19th

Cactus Club

It's a bar show, so just go ahead and call in sick.

And buy me beers, dammit. I'm always sayin that; you think I'm kiddin, Pink Boy?





That is all.
###



[EDIT] I'm going to go out on a limb here, and try a description. I don't like pigeonholing music. Listen to it, to decide if you like it, right? But, using some convenient references, Cloud Cult is like Modest Mouse with the sensibilities of Poi Dog Pondering, with Snopek's musical structures and dynamics- specifically the Trinity Sees type of stuff. Including things like the Horn of Dilemma.

There. Doesn't that sound like something that'll make your ears happy?

2 comments:

  1. What time do they start? 2:00 a.m.?

    I'm listening to the CD right now (courtesy of a long ago mailing ....I promise to return it and others) and I love this. But Criminy, how am I supposed to support indie music when they start so damn late? 9:00 pm turns into 10:00 pm before the first of two warm-up bands begins (the Silence comes highly recommended by the way) and it's bedtime for me on a school night.

    On the plus side I can walk home.

    Look for me there. I have a business trip scheduled in Michigan that day, but will return before evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Silence reminds me of that Seattle Blues song, where the guy tells a story about being so anti- rock star that they don't even play, they just come out and mope around...

    I relate; you'll have to tell the band. Maybe they can start trying to play a bit earlier. Shank Hall usually has earlier start times. I can't believe that a disoriented band can tell the difference. other than they like to sleep until 5 PM...

    Oddly enough, I just got an email from the band telling me how much they love me and miss me and they will have new music and videos and hugs... very strange. But warm and fuzzy, for sure.

    I hadn't listened to them much, then played it a couple of times last week just because, and was blown away. Had to go and stock up on their other stuff too. and then saw that coincidentally, they were scheduled to play. O Frabjous Day!

    You know, staying out way too late listening to rock bands and getting in trouble with your boss and wife is the only thing standing between you and being old. Myself, I'm opting for the aging hipster hanging at the bar.

    Also, the 28th is a reunion of Blue In The Face. at Shank.

    ReplyDelete