Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hipster Professor

I am finishing classwork this semester. OK, you caught me. I am just delaying having to write the damn thing up. Despite my desire to quit a long time ago even after they handed my a fellowship with the greatest of ease, I go back day after day after day...

Digressing from my complaint session, a hipster teaches one of the classes. He arrived the first day of class with a dress shirt and an Armstrong Elementary t-shirt over it, ripped jeans hanging at his knees, yellow plastic flip flops that have seen much better days, and matching yellow sunglasses. The second class a fresh mohawk joined the look along with purple high top Pumas. The thoughts that ran through my head on Day One.

Then I received a reality check when he's all:

"UGrad Hopkins. Masters. Hopkins. Fullbright in Norway. PhD. PENN. Post Doctorate. PENN."

Fuck.

No. Not Jewish!

I love him. I totally do. I think because I am the only straight woman in the course other than the Twinkie physician in training who is esoteric and stares at me for a good ten minutes during each class. (Yeah, nobody knows why. She is an enigma wrapped in a riddle.) Also, I constantly have something to say about feminist thought and why drag queens, intersex, etc. are undesirable to some feminists. (An interesting discussion for another time.) However our love-love relationship was sealed when I was the first to confirm upon request, by him, what his sexual preference was. (Don't worry. The course explores patients rights around sex changes and provides a framework for hospital attorneys and ethics committees.It was for illustrative purposes and I was the sole candidate to pass the ethics yardstick)

He is a humorous guy. I am one of the few who thrives on his humor, I sense. For example:

Professor: Does anyone know what the name for that is?

Class silence.

Silence is deafing.

Waiting.

Professor: It's a technical term.

Class still silent.

Can hear pin drop.

Professor: Yes, it's pissing match.

Maybe you had to be there...

3 comments:

  1. No. Not Jewish!

    Well, you can always change that!

    He'll miss the bacon cheeseburgers at first, but he'll get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone ever gives up bacon for love, then just go get married.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like him. He will make a good zombie.

    ReplyDelete