Monday, January 31, 2011

Carrying a Tune




I finally did it. I purchased a violin over the weekend. A shiny 4/4 expensive and perfect violin. For some time now, I've been infatuated with the violin. Where some means forever and time means an eternity.

After experiencing Garrison Keillor at a local theater play the fiddle last year, I've been enthralled with orchestra strings. So, I took the deep plunge. I have a kind and generous teacher selected, a luthier who I trust with my Violet, as I call her, and a lovely antique German made specimen carved the year I was born. I am less fascinated with my Violet and more so with the subculture of the musicians who play the strings.

Within a matter of seconds I became part of this elite, invite only, chosen few. I now have a group of people with whom I can spend intimate time and learn a lot from both musically and spiritually. For years I questioned whether I have any business doing this. Worrying that I am a complete musical klutz.

After steadily examining my potential, I realized I have something to offer the air space. With an ability to read music and a knack for appreciating the art of the practice and improvement, I am ready to take the sword like bow into my fingers and make the strings dance like they never have before.

My musical aspirations are to play with a local symphony. While it won't happen overnight, I firmly believe it's possible. And so the song begins with the tickle of a string... more...

7 comments:

  1. So it's kind of like a little guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worrying that I am a complete musical klutz.

    I solved that question with my first guitar purchase, bought with paper route money. At least it has moved on to live with the family of a friend of mine from collage.

    Good luck, A.G.!
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Thunder! I'll be sure to have free tickets for you at Will Call when I hit big. ZRM? He'll play full price plus Ticketmaster fees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to hearing your Concerto in AG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spengler Dampniche2/02/2011 11:24 PM

    My banjolele is named Petunia. Maybe they can have babies together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I love the violin. I never learned enough to play well or from sheet music, but I did play the cello for a while. Mostly I was voice, piano, and guitar back in the day. Good luck, sounds like you found a great instrument and teacher. Those are real keys.

    ReplyDelete