Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Whether or Not It Matters

A professional practice can be a strange thing. Especially coming from a blue collar background, where anybody I ever knew was always working for somebody else. My parents (and as bitter as it is, I'm grateful they aren't around to see my work crumble) always looked, I think, on my efforts with bemusement.  In our family's world, employment was a matter of doing your time and taking your paycheck. 


Oddly enough, it's not the first business I started. I formed a start-up (still going, btw) with two other architects (a woman and an Hispanic; I'm inordinately proud of the fact that I've always opted to work with outsider types. Punk stays with you)  which dissolved after a couple of years. I know it will be astonishing to most of you, but Architects have large egos. It's True!

But as I've written before, after that other firm, it was about this same time of year we separated and I found myself looking at a nebulous future, with no particular job prospects and no clear direction to pursue. After a bit of consideration, I elected to accept a client or two who wanted to work with me, and started working out of my attic. I hired a college student, Jeremy, to do some drafting and who famously was once called to feed our dog while I went out drinking with a client (In my defense, I told him to come down for a beer after feeding Mieshka). After not too long, we  moved into a renovated factory building on the River, near the now-chic Brady Street.


in recent days, I've been doing triage on my files and other business trappings;  I look back.  I hired a friend, then other people who became friends.  People moved on, a couple of them started a residential firm (I've been spun off.  I feel like Happy Days).  I worked on so many cool projects, and so many less than cool ones.  I have worked for several years now with people in the Milwaukee African American community and am also inordinately proud of that work in areas of the city damaged by neglect and poverty.  I met and worked with both mayors, and received design awards once or twice.  I designed houses for friends.  I managed not to destroy my marriage doing so.

The other night, my son said "Mom says you're going to be closing The Office".  Not YOUR office.  It struck me hard that he has never known anything other than Dad having The Office; he  was a common visitor, hell resident, from the earliest days, when I had to watch to make sure he didn't fall down the spiral stair.  I took him to job sites, where contractors would gravely adjust a hardhat for his head, and ask his opinion on construction issues.  He told me early on he wanted to be an Architect (although I think his mother may have tried to convince him otherwise).  

One of my favorite traditions was taking the office to Summerfest at lunchtime on the first Thursday.  

This year, there was nobody to take.

Years ago, I was not on track to be an Architect. To be honest, I was barely on track to go to college. Other than a brief class in high school, but let's be realistic I also had classes in Physics, Ceramics, Wood Shop, and Chemistry - none of those were in my sights either; I had never considered the field until a roommate showed me some of his work in college. I talked to his professor, an Architect/Engineer from Madison, and something.... CLICKED. I would be surprised if  Carl  didn't actually fuckin hear it.

Still and In the end, I love creating  and impacting the built environment, and I love drawing it, and I love watching something I first imagined become reality, eventually to be occupied by families or businesses, becoming a part of the living City.  Occasionally I point out to my son things that I had some part in making, standing as part of the City we live in.  I've been doing it on a professional basis  for over 20 years now; I have a hard time imagining not doing it any longer.

And I sit here in my soon-to-be erstwhile office, throwing over a decade's worth of my life into the dumpster, refusing to weep because it seems like if I do, all that part of my life will just roll away like my tears....

And it seems to me that this is what all effort eventually comes to, dust and landfill.

20 comments:

  1. BP, what amazes me is the courage you have. I dated someone who did not have the courage to even be licensed. And he was better than 90% of the folks in his office. When I finally left him I cited the reason being that I couldn't be with someone who couldn't even commit to the practice of architecture let alone us or heterosexuality. (Don't go there...)

    The long and short of it is that you did. That is courage. And something that I have always admired you for.

    This recession will pass and the days of good and plenty will be back. Enjoy your time outside of your practice. You will long for these days in about 10 years -- trust me!

    AG is sending a big hug and smile your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey BP, I'm sorry about what you're going through. I know how tough it all is.

    Skimmer and I are basically in the same boat. We've done our own thing for 10 years -- actually had the best year we'd ever had in 2007 and then once the new year rolled around....

    Nothing. Phone just stopped ringing.

    A lot of our regular business (pretty big accounts, too) are tied to the housing market. No one is spending a dime. We've had a little work, but not enough. By far.

    So. I know what you're going through. Although, I have to say -- I'm not *that* sad. I figure -- we did it -- and did it pretty well -- and now it's time to move on to the next adventure.

    Good luck, my friend! And try to keep your spirits up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BP - Sending a gigantic hug your way. You have written a lovely post about a very difficult and personal topic. Good thoughts sending your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BP,

    I have always loved that sketch. In the end, with all the computer horsepower and 3-D modeling software available, there is nothing like the human touch of a hand rendered drawing. I’m afraid it’s a lost art; the new college graduates can barely identify the working end of a pencil. But it is one facet of your many talents, and one example of the years of experience you bring to the table. You may not realize it now, but there is a new, exciting path that your career is headed for, and you will eventually find it. In the meantime, enjoy the moment with less crabby clients and stupid building inspectors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that sketch as well and was thinking the same thing, human hands will always translate something that computers cannot.

    Best wishes, BP. Life moves on and you'll find a way to move on with it. I still expect to have a BP original one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope (and believe) that the right "next thing" comes along quickly. The rage and grief now will make the successes that much sweeter.

    And Bush is a complete asshole for the damage he has done to so many like you. There is no justice, if there were, he would have been in jail a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, hell, Billy, this is such a bittersweet and amazing post. I'm sorry to hear about the troubles. But we all go through our Caress of Steel moments, when the thing we love doing isn't going well. Your Red Star of the Solar Federation will rise again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BP, I hope that even the act and effort of writing the post and sharing it with us helped a little.

    I've been thinking about you and I'm sorry as hell you've been going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your thoughts, you're all very kind.

    Kath, writing it was something that had to be done, I eventually found a way to write it. It did help, a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing always help.

    As does bourbon.

    Big kiss coming thru the comment thread today. You need it, kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m a little stunned and a lot saddened by the news. The quality of your work always stood far above the recognition you received. I can only hope your hiatus will be temporary because the community as a whole will certainly miss your contributions.

    BMP

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my god!!! Brett Michael's pants can talk!!

    The horror that comes from this possibility is almost too much to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  13. BMP is getting his own show, Crotch of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, how does my epic serious pants post turn into a Bret Michaels pantathon?

    It's not right, even if he only spells his name with one T.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bourbon will harsh any seriousness. That's just science. It will also improve pretty much any night. Or day. Also science.

    It was different for me, not my own creation, but I walked away from equity a few years ago. Different reason for me, I didn't like what I was doing, but it was still scary as hell. Where I am now I didn't expect to be, but I love it. I can't promise the same will happen for you, but I'll bet ten years from now you'll be somewhere you never expected. Which is its own kind of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BP- Just don't let Snag shave your head... or for that matter... give you a hug.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, a SnagHug sounds priceless. How could I pass it up, if the opportunity presents?

    Head-shaving is still under negotiation. In fact, maybe it will wind up as a mutual head-shaving PACT.

    Snag- for all the talk, I've never really done much in the way of bourbon. Most 'brown goods', in fact. More beer (good beer, not Cindy McCain's swill). Beer and rum. And wine. And Tequila. Ummm, I like ouzo, too. Did I mention tequila? Aww hell, pass the bourbon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i'm just a young jerk(who is not going to shave your head), but a Big Hug to you anyway. I remember how bad I felt when I left the USA, but nearly 3 years later, i am quite sure i did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Snag is unhuggable.

    I think just hanging in there is worth much more than it seems.

    I'm proud of you, dude. You did it. That really does count.

    ReplyDelete