Friday, May 09, 2008

The Ballad Of The Sin Eater

This week sucked. Yet again.

Yesterday was particularly abrasive. The high point, of course, was reading Fear and Shorts In Las Vegas by Brando. Seriously, tears-streaming-from-my-eyes-poop-in-my-pants funny. I bow in awe.

But otherwise, In the Restaurant of Life, I seem to be seated by the kitchen door. Best to come to terms, I guess.


One of the things I always liked best about spring in Milwaukee is that the you ladies start wearing skirts downtown again. I know, I know, it's completely patriarchal and sexist and so on, but hey, I'm a hetero and I found out long ago that you can't argue with the lizard brain. But this year it seems we're skipping it; at this point in May we're probably just lucky we don't have snow anymore. Blearrgh. Maybe we'll have nice weather by Summerfest - I see by the calendar that Lucinda Williams is going to be there, as well as local Ska heroes Something To Do and Wisconsin's Drunks, The Happy Schnapps Combo, is getting the band back together. Somebody must have done a Behind the Music on them. Behind the Barrel.

Hey!! Oil hits $125 a barrel!! America rocks. If you're an oil exec. Time to bike to work. While eating ramen.

I thank all for the help with new music last week; My emusic allowance is tapped, and I have to wait before topping off; but between that and finding some un-ripped discs at home, I've cranked the number up to 986 artists. More help! More suggestions please! Maybe I'll set up some analog conversions; I could use 4 Out Of 5 doctors, Robert Ellis Orrall, and/or The Sorrows (Christabelle).

So, it's been a week already, time to Shoot The Musical Poop!!! And I feel like pooping a LOT.


1. Praise The Lord from the album "Wishing Like A Mountain And Thinking Like The Sea [Bonus Track]" by Poi Dog Pondering Old skool, back when major labels could still sign a new artist once in a while. Hippy busking psychedelia. This is the kind of stuff that makes me have some affection for the jam band fans.

2. Best Thing from the album "The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings" by Styx oooo. more old old skool, back when Styx had ideas of going prog. One for Zelmo; totally grungey bass line. AND a Hammond Organ riff. Pretty heavy.

3. That's Why God Invented The Polka from the album "Polka Comes To Your Haus!" by Polish Muslims Says it all, really. And the Devil invented the Chicken Dance.

4. Pigsville from the album "Wacoworld" by Waco Brothers

5. Sign Of The Times from the album "The Stiff Records Box Set (Disc 4)" by The Belle Stars

6. December from the album "A New Day at Midnight" by David Gray

7. The Cold Part from the album "The Moon & Antarctica" by Modest Mouse

8. Song In 3 from the album "Uncollected" by Galaxie 500

9. Shout from the album "Pack Up the Plantation (Live)" by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

10. Platoon II from the album "The Whitey Album [Remastered 2006]" by Ciccone Youth

11. Cowboy In Flames from the album "Waco Express: Live and Kickin' at Schubas Tavern, Chicago" by The Waco Brothers More from Chicago's Bar Band.

12. Rain In the Summertime from the album "Acoustic Standards" by The Alarm

13. London from the album "Louder Than Bombs" by The Smiths

14. Truck Train Tractor from the album "The Bigtime Syndrome" by The Pastels Totally obscure post-punk. 'Train, train! Choo, choo! Train train train, train in my brain.'

15. Train Song from the album "Down To Promised Land: 5 Years Of Bloodshot Records [Disc 2]" by Split Lip Rayfield Keeping the train theme goin. Maybe I'm goin to be takin a trip.


Extra Poop, Piled High and Deep:

16. Apache Rose Peacock from the album "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

17. No Blues from the album "Broken Hearts And Auto Parts" by Kevn Kinney local Milwaukee boy, went to HS with a good friend of mine, and went to Atlanta to toy with major label success in the band Drivin n Cryin.

18. Southern Rain from the album "Black-Eyed Man" by Cowboy Junkies

19. New Test Leper from the album "Bittersweet Me - EP" by R.E.M. I don't care what Pitchforkers said, I really liked this album. The last one with Bill Berry on drums.

20. In A Big Country from the album "Come Up Screaming (Disc 2)" by Big Country

21 blackjack. Holiday From Happiness from the album "Dance On The Volcano" by King Tommy's Velvet Runway banjo based electronica from one of the original members of The Mekons.




cool. I've found a torrent with the Sorrows disc Love Too Late. Sweet Power Pop.


holy poop. I've also found a share point for the 4 out of 5 doctors. And both of these sources have additional albums that I DIDN'T have before; the debut for teh Sorrows and the 2nd disc for 4 Out Of 5 Doctors. I'm so rocking today. maybe this week can be salvaged after all....

Technorati Tags: ,

9 comments:

  1. I hate giving music suggestions to an IMS.

    but here goes nothing - the first two 311 albums (before they were famous) are pretty freaking awesome. IMHO.

    Also, Belly's two albums are must haves. IMHO.

    at least it's Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't be humble, K. Those are very excellent suggestions.

    (hey!! what are you doing blogging? get back to work!)

    such good suggestions, in fact, that I went back in time to suggest to myself that I buy them, so they are in my collection.

    Actually, I don't have the second 311 album. But they're at Summerfest, so I can try and catch up....

    Seriously, anybody who can name check the Rugburns has some IMS cred on their own....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, we both like #20. There is a first.

    In the interest of not being a troll, I shall not mention that anything about comments in the paragraphs before the music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep. Right about the Flogging Molly. Saw em at Summerfest ...umm 2 years ago?

    Bim Skala Bim is funny.... for the longest time, I had a ska comp disc that supposedly had a bunch of different bands, including the Selecter and Bad Manners... but listening to it, it was obvious that it wasn't those bands, which I was familiar with. I even wrote the label a letter, asking them what was up, but never got an answer back. All I knew was that there was a cover of 'Sunshine Of Your Love' on it. Finally, with the advent of CDDB, I was able to determine it was a BSB album. Some dozen years after I got it. Never knew what it was, but knew I liked it.

    Chucklehead sounds like a Genius post....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poi Dog! Holy crap, it's like I'm wearing jean shorts and sporting a wedge in the back of my hair all over again.

    I missed the music suggestions thread, so here are a few that you might not know and enjoy:

    The Fucking Champs -- 80s style instrumental metal with prog flourishes. A full day's supply of daily riffage. Try their album IV first, if you like that, you'll probably like the rest.

    Stars, Set Yourself on Fire -- terrific pop record with a good mix of jangly guitar and synth-pop flourishes. "Ageless Beauty" is one of my favorite songs of the last few years.

    And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, Source Tags and Codes -- this is the only album of theirs worth having, but hoo boy, it's incredible. Punk aggression with more complex arrangements and musical transitions.

    Nada Surf, The Weight Is a Gift -- fantastic guitar-driven pop from former MTV Buzz Bin victims.

    Wolf Parade, With Apologies to the Queen Mother -- took me a while to get into, but it's grown into an album I played to death.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you used cdswap.com at all? We've been using it for a while, getting lots of good stuff on the cheap. Just helping a fellow music lover out. OH, and I am a big big fan of SummerFest. I usually go a few times every year! It's not Summer without the Fest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I duuno what happened. I left this comment last night but whatev - I'll leave it again. Try some "Raising Sand" the project of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. I just got it yesterday. Good stuff so far. Pretty unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree w/ Von on the Raising Sand recommendation.

    I love In a Big Country. The opening sequence of that song rules!

    ReplyDelete