Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tom Sawyer


It was finally a nice day in Milwaukee.  Finally.  Regrettably, I was forced to yet again ignore the piles of dogshit in our yard to spend several hours in the office, getting ready for the new week and the piles of other types of feces being prepared to drop on me   like I was Biff in "Back To The Future"



After stopping at Subway for a sandwich (off my back you foodie elitists) and coming up the stair to my office, I saw the first indication that this day maybe would not be so fine.  One of the panels to my office door was missing, and the door was unlocked.  Opening the door -- shards of wood from the missing panel.  Ooohhhhhhhh shit.  Poopie.

A quick look around- no significant fuckage.  Was it just some passing drunks?  There's a bar right downstairs, after all.  I don't see any vomit or piss though.  Although the toilet room was filthy.  Not the interloper's fault though, we're pigs.

Eventually I looked in depth and figured out that our camera bag was stolen.  Shit, nice camera.  Fortunately, we are in the habit of downloading it every time we use it, so nothing lost there.  

So..... I made a mental note to call all the various officials on Monday and got down to fuckin work.  Townhouses don't draw themselves, you know.  Over the course of the day, I finally tumbled to the fact that a few other items were missing; an SLR camera (that my parents had given me ) and a bag of measuring stuff.  I imagine he thought the bag had better stuff than measuring tapes and flashlights, but fuck 'im. 

So my day was winding to a close and I was packing up (just spending a last few minutes looking at blogs and listening to the new Rush live release, Brando) when I... heard something.  Turning down the music, I heard something again.  Something furtive.  Something -- Someone.  Someone!!

I jumped out of my chair and ran around the corner of the double doors leading into my office.  The office lights were out, although the night had not fully fallen and some light filtered in through our windows.  A ... person... was skulking, is the best word, around the front desk.  "HEY!@!!" I bellowed.  Have you ever heard me yell?  They probably heard it on the street below.  Dude heard it, certainly.  With a little luck, he peed himself.  For a split second, I thought it might be Anthony, the guy who cleans my office and has been notoriously absent for several weeks.  But dude said "Ohsorrytheressomebodyheresorry" and turned around to scurry out the door which  Anthony wouldn't have done.  Besides, you know I locked that damn door all day, because I was nervous.  Dude reached through the opening to unlock it.

  Now, I'm a big guy.  And I've been pretty well trained in self defense.  I go just about anywhere without much worry, and when I saw the break in initially this morning, my thought was even if the guy came back, why shoudl I be scared?  I could kick his head offa his neck.

But as I ran forward and threw the deadbolt behind Dude, I was shit-scared.  My heart was pumping full throttle and I was moving like a hyperactive gerbil with a butt-load of caffeine.  And sugar.  And meth.  I'm still coming down after several drinks.  I ran back to the desk and hit 911.  It took like three seconds to be connected and it seemed like 10 minutes.  For a second or two, I was wondering why the phones weren't working.  Then an operator answered, and asked me a bunch of nonsense question.  Well they seemed like nonsense.  

"A GUY!! HE CAME IN MY OFFICE!! THE DOOR WAS LOCKED!! A GUY, THIS GUY!!  I CHASED HIM AWAY!!"

eventually she got something coherent out of me, and they sent Milwaukee's finest.  I just got done with them and the Detectives, and frankly, I'm impressed.  Not the least by the blues walking through my building with weapons drawn, telling the dust bunnies to come out if they didn't want to be shot.

Detective asked me if I wanted to prosecute.  I was noncommittal at first, but kept thinking about that SLR camera that my parents gave me a few years back.  Fucker took the camera my Dad gave me, and I don't have enough things that my Dad gave me.  

Fucker.  Not my Dad, the Dude.  Fucker. 

22 comments:

  1. EEEkks. I am glad you are OK and sorry about your camera. The Architect I dated had a break in twice. The second time they are pretty sure it was a guy who worked there who gave out the code and then promptly quit a few weeks later.

    I hate when people steal. I really hate it when they steal from architecture firms. That seems double wrong. Like stealing from a shoe store or grocery.

    Don't these thieves listen to Steve Miller and know that you need to house the people, shoe the children and feed the people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh BP! You've got some major crap going on these days, don't you!?! I'm glad you're ok. I'm sorry about the cameras, etc. As I said, I'm glad you're ok... I hope you're ok. I'd say it's time for the universe to give BP a smooth ride for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fucker took the camera my Dad gave me, and I don't have enough things that my Dad gave me.

    I'm sorry, BP. That just really stinks.

    You explained about being scared out of your wits perfectly. I'm sorry and I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a crappy day for you. I've never been burgled, but I had neighbors who were (several neighborhoods back).

    Your adrenaline rush make you feel like you were on meth...the burglar may well have been.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how MDH works in the meth there.

    Excuse me MDH, but how do YOU know what METH is like?

    Hmmm....

    P.S. You will note that AG is trying to make nice with BP. There was no mention of the Subway fiasco. None. Nil. Niente.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is time to get the witch doctor in and get rid of some of that bad juju.

    Hopefully this is the nadir...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely stepped on the wrong bug this year....

    ReplyDelete
  8. we need a BP voodoo doll that we can all be nice to and feed ice cream.

    Sorry man, that is so, so crappy. I'm glad you didn't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We also need a Dude voodoo doll that we can fuck with.

    Sorry to hear about the camera. Glad you're otherwise okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at Fish with his fancy words. He's so Goldie that way.

    Yawn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. nadir is a fancy word?

    huh. Thought he ran for President.

    Hey, thanks to all for your thoughts. From your keyboards to the Universe's ear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nadir is not a fancy word. I use it all the time when discussing lab values. Not blogs.

    Fish is just trying to be fancy with it here. He's so, what's the word?!

    Oh you know it!

    I hope your door was fixed and you are better today, BP.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'd throw the book at him if i could find him, and then follow it up with the SLR if it was one of the old, heavy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BP, you obviously can't expect much from a woman who graduated from a college as pedestrian and prosaic as Amherst.

    ReplyDelete
  15. New door. New locks. New entry codes. New insurance claim.

    ReplyDelete
  16. BP- don't forget the new leaf. Turn it over and then put all of this behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BP, you obviously can't expect much from a woman who graduated from a college as pedestrian and prosaic as Amherst.

    I'm so glad you loser-berals have gone from dumping on Hillary to dumping on me. I will not take this from misogynistic creep balls. You will rue the day you messed with AG, mister.

    P.S. Jealous much? At least AG didn't go somewhere as tragic as you did ... and AG knows. You admitted something and AG looked it up.

    AG is just messuganah crazy enough like that!

    Now live in FEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

    *****

    Stay safe, BP!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Billy, that's fucked up. Damn right you prosecute. I abhor theft. Our apartment in Chicago got looted pretty well, and I was almost positive the asshole who lived upstairs did it, but could never prove it. We had renter's insurance, so it wasn't a loss, but they took the engagement ring that belonged to TLB's grandmother. It had a lot of sentimental value that obviously couldn't be replaced.

    Glad you were alright too. You never know what can happen in those situations.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh man. I'm just punching the air right now, but if Dude happens to step between my fist and its destination, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some poor guy is down on his luck, likely due to the rethuglicans, and you call for armed brutes ready to commit violence on your behalf?

    It was only material things. It wasn't like anyone got hurt. Listen to some Floyd and chill.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bullshit Anon.

    Being down on your luck doesn't give you license to burgle. He wasn't stealing FOOD, he was stealing stuff and came back multiple times.

    Besides, How do you know I'M not down on MY luck? And how do you know that HE was?

    Look, I've got sympathy in spades for people down on their luck. But when he kicked in all the doors of our building, he lost that sympathy.

    Yeah, it was only material things. Listen, you bring a pile of all your cameras and other equipment and drop it off at my place and we'll talk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Most people who steal stuff do so to sell the stuff so that they can get other stuff they need - like FOOD. And how do you know it was the same guy who was there the first time? You said that the office is over a bar, so how do you know that it wasn't just some confused guy who had a couple or three too many to drink?

    And I don't know that you aren't down on your luck. But you also seem to have a job, and an office, and a house and other such luxuries. Do you also have insurance? Will insurance cover the material things that the person (most likely more needy than you) took?

    And why is it okay for you to call for others to threaten violence on your behalf when you are upset that someone took some things that you already took the pictures off of and most likely will be reimbursed by insurance over? Because, truth be told, the threat of violence is what you are invoking when call upon the police. Milwaukee's finest aren't going to make people bend to their will through negotiation. They will do that through a threat of violence, and they will take violent action if their orders aren't obeyed.

    But I guess that you are fine with violence when it is used against those who would dare fuck with your shit.

    ReplyDelete