Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Did Everybody Just Get Old?

Heyhey. look at this. Another post, albeit music-related.

Off the top, Glue Birl whines in the comments:

Secondly, I promise I won't whine and cry continually for the next few months, but you know what? I was watching some awards show on VH1 the other night and they honored Genesis. Genesis actually came out and played a couple of tunes.

Guess what they started with?

You were right.

"Turn It On Again."

Then? Then?

"No Son of Mine"

Or whatever it's called.

PLUS! BP, Phil just kind of stood there. He wasn't his theatrical self.

I'm really gonna try not to complain and worry. But, you know what?

I'm afraid I'm going to ruin one of my best childhood/early adulthood memories by going to this concert in Sept.

I'm scared!


I saw that too.

It's of small consolation that they started with "Turn It On Again", obvious though it is.

I STILL like No Son Of Mine, BG.

Phil not being theatrical? Fine by me. If he was an actor, he'd be a total scenery-chewer. I did notice, however, that he relaxed more when he went behind the drums- he still thinks of himself as a drummer.

What I noticed: Daryl Stuermer, rockin the bass way over on the left. And Chester, of course. But I also noticed some of the light setups, wondering if that was what we're gonna see.

You see, BG, you're gonna have to take it up with Zelmo - he saw the last tour, and has always reported on it favorably, specifically the stage presentation. It would, of course, have been heavy on the "We Can't Dance" numbers, which are mainly of the sort you decry.

I think you may be forgetting, though, that the Genesis show is a whole presentation, and it builds, along with the theatrics, over the course of the show. I don't think the VH1 crapola was particularly their venue. I'm sure they were limited in what they could play, and how long. I can't imagine that they had time to get their own feeling into the music, and they were constrained by an unfamiliar staging (see, normally, I'd criticize a band that can't just get over it and get the job done, but Genesis have always been more reserved and studious)

But finally, if you're really afeared, you just send those tix on to me and I'll let you know it was worse than your fevered imaginings.


BUT- There's other stuff out there. I saw my first Summerfest book today, and now I'm all jazzed. Zelmo, give me a call, and we'll go down to wait at the gates. Snopek plays the first day. The last day is free admission from noon to four. In between is eleven days of food, beer, music and beer. and music. I was even inspired to start teh updating of the SummerfestBlog, getting it ready for the new season.

Also: A late announcement, but Graham Parker with a full band is at Shank Hall on Sunday. A must see, I love the old pub rocker. Unfortunately, he won't be with the Figgs, the backing band does feature their guitarist, Mike Gent.

Coming right the hell up, is the WA-HA careen, Free Hot Lunch, at Shank. Two appearances this year only, and we're going to them BOTH! Everybody should see them, but few will! Just the perfect introduction to the Summerfest Season, and Zorg-mo is Out Of Action! What a Hoot! Much merriment and tequila shall be had, and music! I'll bet they even remember most of the lyrics this time!

Another new booking, one I'm jazzed for , is Stan Ridgway at teh Shank in late August. Former leader of Wall Of Voodoo, he's been consistently releasing offbeat albums of music for some years now, including the concept album/band concept Drywall.

Summerfest time is the only time I feel sorry for all you schmoes who can't be in Wisconsin.

8 comments:

  1. I predict the Genesis tour will consist of one "old" song followed by a "new" song throughout the set. This will please everyone, and no one.

    Phil will be pumped as soon as he hears 20,000 screaming fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny, BP. I *did* notice how he went to town on the drums. You know what else? The older I get, the more into drums (or drumming, if you will) I become. Not necessarily *the drummer* -- but, the drums. I like the sound.

    I like when Phil gets all -- "Ah-ha-ha! Ah-ha-ha... Owwww"

    I loved the way he used to get into it. And I'm sure Zelmo's right. Who couldn't resist 20,000 screaming fans!!

    Question.

    Is Tony Banks alive? I know he's not the most animated guy to have ever been on stage...but, can he move?

    Thanks for the *hint* Zelmo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Banks is as animated as he ever was.

    Video of him from the seventies show him scowling down at the keyboards too.

    By most reports, he's the one who is most critical of all musical elements of the band. If it's not perfect, he's pissed.

    I always thought he was the most likely one to leave the band, cuz he never seemed to be having fun. AND he was never happy to be interviewed, that was the only time you could see him smile about what they were doing...

    British reservationism, all that wot?

    Oh, and I'm gonna call Zelmo on his prediction. What's defined as "old" and "new" songs? You can choose the point to fit your prediction. Besdies, all the songs are at least fifteen years old- they're all old, ain'a?

    But here's the thing: there WILL be an "Old Medley" in which bits of all kinds of things will be thrown, mostly the old of which you speak. The beginning of the show will, of course, feature TIOA, then go into a couple of straightforward songs, then a longy like Home By The Sea or abacab. Then a few shorter ditties, then the more dramatic stuff. The Big Songs will come later, with lgiht show wow factor.

    For a song mix, think "The Longs" combined with "The Shorts" with a bit less emphasis on the "we can't dance" albmu, becasue it's no longer current. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of emphasis on the middle four discs (the current remasters) but otherwise , I'd expect to see something, a bit off every album except "Trespass". If they play "the KNife" I'll eat my ticket.

    Postulative Tracklist (in no fricking order):

    Turn it On Again
    No Son Of Mine
    Land of Confusion
    Throwing It All Away
    Mama
    Tongiht, Tonight, Tonight
    Invisible Touch
    Domino
    Fading Lights
    Home By The Sea
    abacab OR Dodo/Lurker BUT NOT BOTH.
    Behind The Lines
    Carpet Crawlers
    Me & Sarah Jane
    Firth of Fifth
    Follow You Follow Me
    Duchess
    Old Medley: Cinema Show/Dance On A volcano/The Lamb/The Musical Box/ I KNow what I Like/(abitofSupper'sready)/ Afterglow


    Okay, they can't play all that. But I'll bet it covers the bases, I probably missed one or two. Can we all live with that? Cuz if not, I'll turn this car around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And BG, all the misspellings in that post ARE JUST FOR YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If they don't play Firth of Fifth though, I am going to hunt them all down and kill them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue: Tony remains a counterpoint to Phil's (alleged) stage maniac.
    If we're lucky, he will rotate his head indiscernibly and attempt a feeble half-smile to acknowledge the crowd. Otherwise, as long as his fingers are moving, I'm happy!


    BP: As we all know, "old" is relative. I consider the break between "old" and "new" to be Abacab. Maybe not stylistically, but personally: that album was the first time I seriously got into Genesis. So I considered everything before that "old". I agree with you however, it will be a mix of "longs" and "shorts".

    You better believe they will play Firth of Fifth. That's Daryl's magnum opus.

    But where's Driving the Last Spike? Keep It Dark? That's All? Eleventh Earl of Mar? Where is the freakin' Brazilian???

    Don't forget the drum duet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As we all know, "old" is relative. I consider the break between "old" and "new" to be Abacab.

    Me too. Abacab straddled a time warp with that band. A couple of good "old" ones, but mostly cheesey "new" ones. And then -- ZOOM! They headed right to Cheese Planet and remained there.

    BP, I hope they play Dodo/Lurker instead of Abacab, if I had to choose.

    Not they've called BG asking her opinion.

    Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You non-traditionalists. Most people would put the line between old and new at Trick Of The Tail.

    Myself, I put it at Calling all Stations. But I'm a Rebel, Dottie, a Loner.

    Zelmoid, Driving was supposed to be on that list. But eleventh Earl Of Mar? WTF are you smoking?

    Hey, you staining rapscallion, I said that list was not cgoing to be 100% accurate. But I feel it's a fair representation of what we're going to see. The Brazilian? A long shot EXTREMELY dated drum sound. Hell, GarageBand does a better drum these days.

    But wtf do you think they're going to play, smart guy? Return Of The Giant Hogweed?

    Yea, BG, those bastardos didn't call me either.

    I can't say they headed to cheese planet. There's soome really OK stuff on Invisible Touch, and We Can't Dance had Driving the Last Spike. If I new how to post a slice of song, I'd put up the instrumental intro to The Dividing Line off Calling All Stations, which is nothing if not old school instrumental Genesis. Zelmo makes fun of me for liking CAS, but I think they really hit a great instrumental groove, and it wasn't destroyed by those insipid Peelip pop songs.

    Man, we can really hate and love P Collins, can't we?

    ReplyDelete