Friday, January 26, 2007

Brother, My Cup Is Empty

GWB's SOTU? STFU. He's been wrong on every damn thing since he was elected, now we're supposed to give him another chance? Please. I'm all for redemption, but the first steps need to come from the redeemed. And nobody gets a blank check until something works out right.

I did, however, particularly like the way all the red-meat Social Conservative issues like gay marriage and abortion were completely absent. He even gave lip service to energy efficiency and health care, although the proposals were weak and we know, of course, that he was lying about trying to do any of it. Remember Mars? And Hydrogen cars?

Personally, I have worked up some good outrage about the spew from people like Dan Riehl, who responded to Jim Webb's Democratic Response by calling webb a coward and traitor. For those unfamiliar with the man, Webb comes from a family tradition of service in the Marines; he received medals for his service in Vietnam, doing things like grabbing live grenades and attacking bunker positions. Webb's son is also doing service in the Marines in Iraq. Meanwhile, Riehl has been a blogger. I can't believe the sense of sniveling self-righteousness that allows him to malign Jim Webb. And I'll bet Riehl won't say that directly to Webb's face. If Webb nearly punched the President for being snotty about his son, he won't think twice about taking apart some two-bit rightard blogger with a slobbering obeisance toward authority, and a preening, ghoulish eagerness to see other people die in a 'glorious struggle'.

Also up for Worst Person In The World Awards: John Gibson and Brit Hume for all to gleefully broadcasting the baseless accusations that Barack Obama was educated as a child in a terrorist training school; when Anderson Cooper of CNN exposed these as baseless anonymously sourced lies, Gibson lashed out at Cooper and accused the reporter who did the research as also being a terrorist student. Funny, in a sad way, like seeing the remains of someone's family cat squashed on the highway. The rightwing is totally terrified of Obama, aren't they?

On to the Spew:

1. Loverman from the album “Let Love In” by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Funny, because I was just importing a couple of Nick Cave cds.
2. The Day They Set Jim Larkin Free from the album “Elvis Murphy's Green Suede Shoes” by Black 47 One of my favorite bands- they'll be at Shank in the near future.
3. Subdivisions from the album “Retrospective II (1981-1987)” by Rush
4. Spiders from the album “Hotel” by Moby
5. Halfway from the album “Tough Love” by Hamell On Trial
6. My Wife And My Dead Wife from the album “Gotta Let This Hen Out!” by Robyn Hitchcock Classic. His latest band, The Venus Three, features Pete Buck from REM on guitar.
7. Too Much Time on My Hands from the album “At the River's Edge - Live in St. Louis” by Styx Boy, these randoms can be embarrassing, can't they? Part of the original idea, actually. Lost on Zelmo, who uses his Jetsons Radio to pre-select types of music, so his Secret Hanson stash never shows up. wanker. The question is, will I admit it when one of those Damn Journey Songs shows up? Do I even HAVE Journey on my iTunes? Well, with 23,750 songs, we may have a ways to go before we find out.
8. Home from the album “Brick By Brick” by Iggy Pop
9. Dark Sun from the album “Songs Of False Hope And High Values” by Sally Timms & Jon Langford
10. Darkness And Doubt from the album “Original Sin” by Mekons Oddly enough, there was another Mekes song just prior to that Jon Langford one- but I was on the phone and missed listing it.


So, the Ten wound up with 3 Mekes related songs. That's worth a couple of bonus tunes, at least until I have to leave.

11. Sour Mash from the album “Ladies and Gentlemen...” by The Gentlemen
12. Self-Esteem from the album “Smash” by The Offspring That's a recent add.
13. Tricycle (Instrumental) (Non-Album Track) from the album “E-Bow the Letter - EP” by R.E.M.
14. The Hardest Walk from the album “Psychocandy” by The Jesus & Mary Chain
15. King Of The Jungle from the album “The Greatest Punk Album Of All Time (Disc C)” by Last Resort



Gotta go. Let me know what you're listening to.

7 comments:

  1. I adore Robyn Hitchcock. Crazy as a bedbug, but wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Journey, Yes.

    Hanson. No.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got pretty much the whole Hitchcock gig on my Pod. Soft Boys too (Underwater Moonlight is genius). He does some fun live shows too.

    C'mon, Z, there's gotta be some really embarassing stuff in that archive. Tell me you don't have a couple of Captain and Tennille albums.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat Power - Willie
    Dramarama - It's Still Warm
    Pearl Jam - Glorified G
    Blur - Chemical World
    Echo & The Bunnymen - Do It Clean
    Electronic - Tighten Up
    Lightning Seeds - Blowing Bubbles
    The Posies - Dream All Day
    Whitey - Halfway Gone
    Jakalope - And I Fall
    The Amber Room - Secrets

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I never said I didn't like the Cap'n.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. See what I'm saying there? Nothing embarassing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me, I've been listening to a lot of Joe Jackson lately. In the same Used Book Sale I got The Figgs out of, I also got Night and Day II. Not bad-- nowhere near as good as Night and Day, but even mediocre Joe Jackson is kickin'. Big World, Jumpin' Jive, Blaze of Glory-- fabulous stuff. Really glad I added it to my computer's music files.

    And the rightwing is terrified of Obama. So is Hillary for that matter. Young, well-spoken, diplomatic, intelligent, telegenic, charismatic, willing to talk about his faith, but willing to listen to others talk about theirs as well. You know, pretty much everything Bush isn't. You think the Republicans aren't aware of how much the country wants somebody not-Bushlike just now? I'm sure the RNC would much rather face Hillary than Obama.

    ReplyDelete