Friday, October 06, 2023

Hello Cruel World

 Wordpress has gone econo-fascist, and no longer really allows any way to create a blog for no cost, unless you sign up IN ADVANCE for annual billing.  Welcome to modern Internet!  But it will get better with AI, so I am told by people who also told me Pogoplug  and blockchain were going to change the shape of the online world.  Hey, How is Sam Bankman-Fried doing?  And how are your NFTs?

So I am going back to root.  This is my original blogger hood home before I got fancy, and had a budget to pay for Wordpress to make me look pretty.  Little did they realize, that is a boulder, they can't push up that hill.

But I still have some access to the last couple of things I wrote, and this one about the Fascist Motherfucking Supreme Court Dickwads (may they soon be limited to wheelchairs like that fucker Kissinger) and their next target:  Equality of accessibility.  Which is a particular thing I have worked on for...well pretty much all of my career.



I have sometimes talked about finding myself with some level of mobility issues, and that I often acknowledged GHWB, for all his other hateful aspects, who signed the ADA into federal law, and I’ve been working most of my life under the guidelines that were published as an addendum- but not part of the law: There was no enforcement mechanism.

Most states incorporated some level of the ADA guideline into their building codes. In fact, Wisconsin’s building code in effect at the time was already pretty much in line with the ADA guidelines, so it really was not much of an effect, except that our plan examiners, architects, and inspectors were able to make some enforcement.

I have sometimes remarked at how visiting parks and museums and other public places are very much more accommodating, whether I feel the need for a wheelchair or a scooter or just being able to walk with my shillelagh walking stick. I acknowledge, at each instance, what the first Bush did, and am grateful.

So these motherfuckers, are now able to decide this will no longer be what we do. I want to take a tire iron to every one of those fuckers knees. 

Yes, I recognize that this is narrowly focused on standing for trying to force building owners to provide more accessibility. But given the continual restrictions to reproductive freedom and voting rights, is anyone going to tell me that they will not grind the fuck out of the ADA in their slash and burn regime?

I noted at one point that Israel has apparently felt that providing accessibility is against their religion or something. I have been to many places with ruins and such, and they usually have a graded gravel path that allows access if we have some less ability. Israel says fuck off. go get cured.

When I first started working as an architect who was responsible for creating welcoming, accessible spaces, I was perfectly happy and as a designer, it was just as challenging as any other design problem.

Now as I am older and as I said, finding myself with mobility challenges, I am a bit angry that these fascist motherfuckers want to take it away.  The actions of GHWB and others in enacting the Americans with Disabilities Act was a huge stride in making our country and its public spaces more welcoming to people that had been relegated to back bedrooms and not being seen for generation.

And now the fascists and hateful horror show people who apparently now run ur country from the Shitpreme Court, want to make it  Hard, if not Impossible, for us to be Human Again.   Goddam, how were the Mekons so prescient in 1985?  And yet again, I find my love for that band justified.


Well, since there are only a few rabid squirrels and a tribe of twisted capybaras who even care anymore, Hi There!  Since I am now semi-retired with little to do except day-drink, expect ....err, well nothing really.  Sorry in advance.  

No comments:

Post a Comment