Sunday, May 04, 2008

Beneath, Between and Behind


OK, our good imaginary friend Brando has, between doing yeoman's work tending to his Lovely Pregnant Becky and drinking in Vegas, posting inspiring  work in a Top 22 Life Songs.  And we (counting all my aliases)have been dutifully, joyfully, and annoyingly commenting at length. Cuz they can't stop me on the Interwebz!!  Ghost Melon!!!!


But, as hinted and expected and warned, The B posted his top numbers tonight, and his final, penultimate song was Tom Sawyer.  And I left a plenty long comment on his other fine choices, but this really takes a full post, so I'm taking advantage to use up some of my own blog space....

I figger I'm a bit older than Brando; my track record with those Canuckinoid Proggers goes back, really, to Permanent Waves.  I first saw them on that tour at the Clamshell in Madison, and bought a t-shirt (subsequently taking a punch from some dickweed in a mall who exclaimed they 'sucked donkey dick'.  Not only do I still wonder about the self-loathing of someone who punches a stranger for the shirt they wear, but I also wish I had had the presence of mind to ask him when , exactly, Rush had sucked HIS dick?)

And even after I was gone from those hometown years, the strength of that Moving Pictures album drew me back to Madison on the next tour - even taking a DATE - the woman who would become my wife - for her first ever large scale concert (she grew up in a small rural area) and she was not only completely befuddled by the noise and lights, it was more people in a smaller space than she had ever imagined possible.  Amazingly, it was confusing enough that years later she agreed to become my wife.  Rush has THAT much power, indeed.  My dorm neighbor borrowed the Moving Pictures album and played it incessantly, irritating everybody in the dorm; he had the habit of putting the album on drunk, on repeat, and passing out with his door locked.   On max volume.  When I finally got it back, it looked like badgers had chewed on both the cover and the vinyl.

I have to confess that I  was not as stalwart as Brando, alas.  During intervening years, the music scene in Milwaukee commanded greater attention, and I decided Rush was pretty much passe.  Zelmo even gave me shit for buying a Rush retrospective on CD during this interval.  Cobag.

But the world turns;  it comes around.  And after Rush themselves weathered the storms of life, they regrouped to release Vapor Trails, an aggressive revisiting of the power trio concept and a triumphant, rebellious shout against adversity.  We welcomed the opportunity to revisit a piece of our history buying tix for a couple of guys in my office too.  Then they did a thirty year anniversary tour, which was a total party.

Like Brando, Rush has often been the soundtrack to parts of my life.  Although at any given time, other music may seem more prevalent, it has always had a place in my rack of sounds and a corner of my head, and has always been able to soothe me  and invigorate me and provide a bulwark against the savage.

Like Brando, I respect these three Northern Music Geeks for their willingness to just do what they want, regardless of the fashion and trends.  It seems there's a fair number of other people who do too; they've always played against the industry.  But they don't care much; there's the underlying love of music and what they do.  And the love of their band mates helps-a band that has weathered 30+ years of music industry shit and ego override is truly a special thing.  But the love; I've always known that these guys would just go on playing the same stuff whether they were making albums or not - whether the crowds were 30 or 30,000.

My tolerant spouse and I are, once again, going to enjoy this special thing, and the special things it means to us, at Summerfest yet again this year.  It's frankly fucking amazing that our relationship has lasted all  these years; and the ability of Rush to also maintain their relationship -hell, not just maintain it, but to GROW and strengthen - is a fuckin miracle of sorts and I relish the ability and opportunity to celebrate both  miracles at once.

Thanks for your post, Brando. You, indeed, rock in all meanings of the term. 

And heartfelt thanks to  Dirk Lerxst and Pratt




28 comments:

  1. Nice post, my man. And thanks for the nice words on my post.

    I've seen them live three times: 1987, 1991, and 2004 on the R30 tour. As much as I loved the first two shows, they were so much better on the 2004 show. I think as they've gotten older, they've gotten more comfortable with their fame and look like they rediscovered the joy of playing live.

    I also have to laugh because TLB would take a bullet for me before she'd go to a Rush show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take a bullet for you, Brando, before I'd go to a Rush show... however, between your post and BP's, I'm almost tempted... I said tempted to buy something and give it a try... if only to blare "Working Man" out my windows, aimed directly at you know who.

    BP- very nice post, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Rush 3 times myself. It's all about the drums. I love me some Counterparts and Roll the Bones. Good house cleanin' music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for that Von. Another closet Rush geek comes out.

    I think you're right about the aging thing Brando. As I get old myself, I appreciate bands who decide that this is actually a pretty good way to live, even if they aren't rockin the charts....

    Also, I feel like their brushes with disaster and tragedy has made them all much more appreciative of their own mortality, and how important it may be to work to maintain something with a bit of magic, rather than blow it up for silly egos.

    Watching them on the last couple of tours (we went on VT and R30; skipped the Snakes and Arrows, although Zelmo rocked that show. We're making up for it this summer, but Z is bagging on it. Cobag.) it is amazing to see how much enjoyment they have playing . They've always had a sense of humor that you don't hear in the songs, but recently they seem downright giddy on stage. Jerry Stiller doing the intro was brilliant. And what's up with the laundry machines?

    This is an official IMS Music Amnesty thread. Admit all your worst musical indulgences here, no shame or blame or ridicule allowed!! I expect appalling things. Especially from Zelmo.

    I've already admitted the Styx (let he who is without Styx cast the first stone! heh.) and I will also admit some Journey (but not the later stuff; pre-video.) Obviously there's a bit of clandestine Supertramp lurking about my environs. So come on, all you aging hipsters, let it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an official IMS Music Amnesty thread. Admit all your worst musical indulgences here, no shame or blame or ridicule allowed!!

    I don't even think I can. All I know is for the first year or so that Grizzled and I lived together and had thus co-mingled our albums, he'd go through looking for something and would usually say, "Who bought THIS!?!? The he'd give me a that look that said, "Who have I married???"

    What can I say... I was a girrrrrl who listened to a lot of WLS for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tending to TPB? AG calls patriarchy slander on that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call Foul, AG. Half the distance to the goal line and a Free Kick.

    There's nothing patriarchal about spending additional effort caring for your partner when they are going through significant health changes and risks. Gender issues don't even enter into it.

    Besides, it's for Brando and TLB to decide how their relationship works, and if they decide Brando is to be the big strong macho man, that's their call. If either of them feel slighted by what I wrote, I will happily rescind it.

    :)

    Now, how about some music suggestions or shameful music confessions? Let's not soil an IMS Music Amnesty Thread with patriarchy-blaming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worst ever for me: I consciously purchased Lita Ford's greatest hits CD. Admittedly, it was free from the music club, but I still had to pay shipping and handling. That's TLB's favorite one to cackle about.

    Kiss me once, shame on you. Kiss me twice, shame on me. Kiss me deadly, mock me for all eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lita Ford gets a pass for being in the Runaways.

    Besides, when the albums are free,it's hard to be discerning. Napster did more to distribute crappy music than Columbia House ever did.

    Next!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got some Blues Traveler on my HD.

    And some Phish.

    And (snerk) Never Been Any Reason

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been known on occasion to air jam to Juke Box Hero.

    Also lurking in the closet is some .38 special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah, almost forgot my (already admitted) Molly Hatchet and Blue Oyster Cult concerts...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been known on occasion to air jam to Juke Box Hero.

    Also lurking in the closet is some .38 special.


    ooo, ouch.

    oops, sorry; I said no shaming.


    no worries fish, I am an out and proud BÖC fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have lots and lots and lots of Phish. I have special bootleg Phish. I have a really old Phish sticker I transfer from car to car. Wear it proud, man.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a Kim Wilde CD... it was in the dollar bin! I couldn't help it! And I'll admit to owning a Brothers Johnson album... yeah, kill me, I danced to "Stomp". And since I'm going there... you can add Ambrosia to the mix and Peter Schilling, all right next to my Stephen Bishop. Dear Lord, why did Grizzled marry me?!?! I'm surprised his Frank Zappa and King Crimson albums didn't just melt when they came into contact with mine.

    Grizzled does say if I buy an album, the band is then cursed to become a one hit wonder. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think the guys in Ambrosia owned any Ambrosia albums.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think the guys in Ambrosia owned any Ambrosia albums.

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is no bad music - just personal taste. Therefore, there is no shame. And no need to apologize for past loves. Embrace the path that got you here. Get beyond the fear of peer review.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Bee Gees.

    No Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  20. And early Ambrosia had a great progressive rock sound and were influenced by Pink Floyd, Genesis and Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. see, I knew Zelmo would come through.

    I want to see pics of him in his shiny disco shirts and bell bottoms....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww, c'mon Zelmo, you telling me Creed isn't Bad Music?

    ReplyDelete
  23. No, it's that you ASSUMED that was what he was doing!

    Rush sucks. So does Creed.

    AG hearts Zelmo.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey lady, this is an Amnesty thread.

    No music shaming or blaming. All music is accepted here, like a big EST therapy session.

    One more step out of line, and it's chili dogs at dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Rush will not disappoint you, though I hope they get the sound levels a little better this. They play a very wide ranging set, with the exception of Snakes and Arrows, I think two songs from any album was the most. I think they played four or five from S&A. There were a lot of songs that I d/n expect (at least, there were last summer). Witch Hunt was absolutely superb.

    The only complaint I had was the aforementioned sound levels. On some of the power anthems, the sounds all bluggled (it's a technical term) together into an unrecognizable goo.

    Plus, they have onscreen visitations from fellow canucks.

    And Snakes and Arrows is a pretty good album.

    Amnesty zone? I have a soft spot in my heart for ABBA.

    There. It's out there now. I feel a weight has lifted from me.

    Thanks BP-- see, you can be a force for good and positiveness. Must be the music. Music is the universal language-- though we speak it with a slightly different accent.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lady? You know what you are to call me.

    I love lighting up the BP engines. It's soooooooooo easy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is very therapeutic.

    Add Neil Diamond to my list. Nothing better for a warm-up on Karaoke night.

    ReplyDelete