Friday, November 16, 2007

Hard To Be Human

Nick raises a longstanding Right canard in a previous comment:

"The fact that so many on the Left take a twisted pride in hating George Bush pretty much illustrates the fact that hatred is very much an equal opportunity evil. Glasses houses and stones, kettles and pots... you know, all that stuff. "
This is a popular rejoinder from teh Right aisle whenever a Liberal has the temerity to suggest maybe the drop in civility has more to do with the political ploys pioneered by Newt Gingrich than the number of 'fucks' on a blog such as this one, which boasts the traffic of a cave in Nepal.

In short, Nick, the "Hate comes from both sides" is useless here until someone from the Right repudiates and excommunicates Newt, Limbaugh, Coulter, and Pat Robertson from our public discourse. In reality, the premiers of the Republican Party have been using 'Civility' to distort and disrupt any objections from their counterparts while using terms of disparagement and denigration to turn Democrats into Demons for the last twenty five years.

It is taken as a given that the opposition to Bush and the Cheney administration is due to 'Bush Derangement Syndrome' and personal antipathy. And Nick, oddly enough, raised it in response to a post that had little to do with Bush, except for the fact that he is the highest standing sadist to promote the policy; with a glee usually reserved for small boys with a magnifying glass and a thriving anthill.

In reality, the opposition to Bush started before the election of 2000, when people like Molly Ivins pointed out the wasteland his policies have left in Texas, and the prediction that repeating these on a Nationwide basis would be foolish. To which the press responded "But Gore sighs heavily!" and George Bush's obvious use of a wire in the debates goes undiscussed.

The implication is that hatred of Bush is unfounded, and based on personal, elitist dislike. But the talking points from the Right, obediently disseminated by teh Mighty Wurlitzer of Right Wing Media, continuously trumpet numbingly plebeian attacks on Democrats; attacks that have little to do with actual policy or politics or indeed, even reality. Attacks on Gore's clothing, clinton's 'drug dealing' Hillary's cleavage, Obama's flag pin and lack thereof, Edwards haircut....


So, do I hate George Bush? Yes. YES. strongly, unequivocally, and without reservation, even if it lands me in a covert prison.

I hate Bush for being the undeserving recipient of unprecedented privilege in an appalling ideologically driven Supreme Court case that invalidated proper procedure in a recount and stomped all over a State's sovereignty in awarding him the Presidency in 2000;

I hate George Bush because he squandered the worldwide goodwill after a tragedy;

I hate Bush because he then used the tragedy as an excuse to attempt fulfilling a misbegotten dream of worldwide domination by a small group of political idealogues- then promptly fumbled nearly every operational aspect of the occupation.

I hate Bush for the way he exulted in each and every execution he presided over.

I hate Bush because he lies.

I hate Bush because he has diluted and distorted the Constitution to benefit a single Political Party;

I hate Bush because he is incurious, unlearned, and ignorant, despite having the advantages of the best education his Family's influence could buy him;

I hate Bush because he says 'nuculer'.

I hate Bush because he is the most recklessly spending President in history, spending the country into unimaginable debt while rewarding plutocrats and war profiteers with government largesse and tax cuts.

I hate Bush because of his complicity in Cheney's development of a surveillance society;

I hate Bush because he has been a willing and eager accomplice in rolling back environmental and consumer protections to pre-1920 levels;

I hate Bush because his character is as much a creation as Andy Kaufman's. He is an effete, elitist, arrogant and unlikable son of privilege and heir to a real dynasty that for political reasons finds it expedient to pretend to be a rancher and adopt a fake Texas accent, talking slowly and spreading the meme that 'he'd be a good guy to have a beer with' when in reality he's a violent alcoholic.

I hate Bush because he willfully ignored an environmental disaster in New Orleans and has since obfuscated and derailed any meaningful reconstruction efforts on behalf of the Federal Government

I hate Bush because his lifetime habit of avoiding personal responsibility through the intercession of his family's political beneficiaries, from enabling his college career, to helping him avoid service during the Vietnam War, to failed business venture after failed business venture. Never before has such a repeated track record of failure led to the highest level of political office.

George W. Bush is worthy of hatred. Twisted pride? I don't know; I think a far more pertinent question is after all this, why MORE people don't hate him? And what took so long?

Technorati Tags:

7 comments:

  1. I have tried long and hard to not have a knee-jerk reaction to the man even though he set off all my alarms long ago. I have been around enough Clinton-bashing for a lifetime and I did not want to go as low or be as smug. I have given Bush a chance even though I did not vote for him. I tried to see the benefit of his ways. I shut my mouth every time I wanted to utter something mean and shallow. I don't like to use the word hate. I feel it is a strong word to be used only in extreme instances. This man has earned my hate and yet I still find it hard to say I hate him. I absolutely hate what he has done and what he hasn't done. I hate where he has put this country. What George Bush has done and what he has not done is worthy of my hatred and like BP, I am amazed that more people are not LIVID with what is being done in the name of patriotism, freedom and what ever else you want to wrap it up in. However, I do not hate him. I feel pity for the man and I hate that we don't seem to have a way to stop his disgusting actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're much more generous than I am, jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly ever say, "I hate Bush." Like Jennifer, though I hate everything single solitary thing the man has ever stood for and failed at. His, to me, is a total wasted life.

    But, I completely 100% understand why people DO hate Bush. Because every time he does something that ends up being wrong, he does it with that smirk, with that cocky attitude, with that fake cowboy walk, with his arms jutting out at his sides.

    I understand why people hate him because every single action he takes, he does it while poking a stick in your eye just for fun.

    He's a bully. An imcompetent, spoiled failure.

    And he's done extreme damage.

    I understand the hatred. And am still amazed to this very day that he was re-elected in 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I need to read the whole thing, but I don't even understand that comment. It assumes that hating Bush is evil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick's comment, I think, goes toward comparing the Hate that many on the Right have for the Clintons, or the Religious right have for... well, everybody who's not part of their religion, I guess; or maybe the special Hate that bigots have for the target of their bigotry. Irrational hatreds all.

    I wanted to point out that even if I'm weak for doing so, there are plenty of good rational reasons for hating Bush. It's not irrational or deranged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, sort of BP and no I did not mean to imply that hating Bush was evil. I meant to imply that hate is a bad thing, even an evil thing-- this does not necessarily make the hater evil. It wasn't meant to be a comparison so much as a warning to the effect that hate is a bad thing. Rational or not, warranted or not. It blinds, it clouds judgment, it stresses your body and-- perhaps most significantly-- it spreads. Just like its counterpart love but with only bad side effects. Whether you hate from the Left, the Right or the Middle, hate is bad. I think this post kinda makes that point for me-- look how worked up it got BP for goodness sake. I think more of need to be where Jennifer's at-- pity Bush and hate what he's done, but don't hate the man. It simply doesn't help and it does a lot of harm.

    Anyway, having been admonished for my longwinded replies in the past I will let this clarification go as is and simply mention that I will be posting a much longer analysis of hatred and its effects on my own blog shortly. Hopefully at least a few of you will take the time to check it out. I seriously believe that hatred and the polarization of our culture is a deep ill and serious threat to our country and our world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all, Nick, don't let anyone chide you for long winded comments. I get windy in my posts, why not the commenters?

    I agree that hate is a bad thing in general.

    I much prefer Justice.

    But in the absence of seeing Bush, Cheney and Rumsfeld standing in the Hague, hate will have to do for this flawed liberal.

    I do find it amusing, however, that after decades of hate from the Right, the most vociferous proponents of civility and peaceful coexistence come from the Right; hate has served, and continues to serve, them well.

    Go read Malkin, or Limbaugh, or Protein Wisdom, or Free Republic, or Townhall, or watch Lou Dobbs and Glenn Beck. Hate is an integral part of the Republican dog whistle political base.

    It is ironic that after years of ridiculing pacifists for wanting to unilaterally disarm, now the Right is piously claiming it needs to be done to save political discourse.

    Johnny Lydon said "Anger is an energy". Maybe Hate isn't the same thing; maybe it's not hate so much I feel as it is Anger.

    In any case, I see no need to rein in my anger towards the people running this country into disaster while the opposition channels its hatred toward brown and black and liberal people into their demographics support.

    I know you pretty much live what you say, Nick; however, in general you hitch your political wagon to the Party of Hate and make no complaints about successes that accrue from its deployment. After the election of 2000 which culminated in angry protests in Florida aimed at stopping a lawful counting of votes and ultimately, an improper partisan vote from the Supreme Court that unnecessarily humiliated the Democrats , the gleeful refrain heard from the Right was "Get Over it!"

    Or are you saying, like some Dirty Fucking Hippie, that we should be combating Hate with Love, Man?

    Hell with this as a comment. It's going up top. You know, it may not be the most pleasant thing to think of on Thanksgiving, but you can also think of the people dying in Iraq as a result of the politics of Hatred practiced by the Republicans; and as Bono sang on Bob Geldof's song many years ago "... tonight thank God it's them instead of you."

    ReplyDelete