Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Helter Stupid

There is so much stuff I want to post about, so much to write, and I don't think I've got the time to do any of it justice. For what it's worth, all of you should be following the happenings in Jena, LA. Pandagon is a good source, Americablog has had some good stuff. If I had the time, I'd be tempted to drive down there.

But, like the constant reminder to put one your seatbelts, the nagging indicators that we are ruled by a selfish, greedy, maladjusted and dimwitted misanthrope keep coming, week after week.

This week: the knowledge that Mr. Wizard can't make a speech, using the proper names of countries and leaders, without the primer version, like he's some backwards student with phonetic versions of all his textbooks.

Liberia. Sarkozy. It's not cute, it's not a 'common man' touch (after all, every member of the working class I know has had to learn a difficult name of a co-worker, a product, or a process at some time, and usually has no problem). This egregious butthole is so uninterested in the world around him that he can't learn to pronounce the COUNTRIES OF THE WORLD, something most fifth graders learn to do. Holy robotic shit, I can pronounce those countries, and it's not even my frickin JOB.

Yes, this is the kind of thing that sets me off. Chimpy McStupidpants was elected by people who think he's a 'normal guy', someone 'you'd like to have a beer with'; but in reality he's an over-privileged twit who'd actually be a pain in the ass to have a drink with. I've seen guys like this drink; first of all, it's a competition, and he'll challenge you to keep up while he downs shots of tequila; then, it's impossible to have a conversation with him; then he starts groping and leering at any woman around, and finally, invariably, will threaten to punch your lights out.

Last night, I watched Bill Clinton on the Daily Show. Even though I often felt he was far too centrist and accommodating as a President, It still nearly brought me to tears; a man who has an impressive command of the facts surrounding just about everything, a passion for what he's doing, empathy for the people he's with, and real personal magnetism rather than a pastiche of faux populist accents and mannerisms.

How far we've fallen; how far still to fall.

13 comments:

  1. Listening to Clinton speak is like having a glass of water after spending a number of years in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BP, stuff like that aggravates the daylights out of me, too. I just cannot stand it. I cannot stand that this country is being led by such a buffoon. And it's not that I think he's stupid. It's that he doesn't CARE to get any smarter. The whole lack of intellectual curiosity just kills me.

    And Jennifer, you're so right. It's so great to listen to Bill Clinton talk.

    I miss the 90s.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last six, almost seven years (a notion that by itself makes me shudder) have done more than expose his incompetence, though. Thanks to the wonder of the blogosphere, they've also allowed us a peek into how many people like him there are in this country. Mean, ignorant bigots who I used to be able to pretend were an insignificant minority. Two presidential elections later, I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of mean, Snag.... AG chimes right in!


    I grew up on the edge of rural Wisconsin....the extent of meanness in America doesn't surprise me. Iknow there's plenty of maladjusted, bitter people out there who are terribly xenophobic and predisposed to violence. Hell, I got beat up by some of them during high school.

    It isn't surprising that when one of their own- except for the wealth part, otherwise he's an ingnorant, violent, petty and ignorant savage- came along, they'd turn out in droves to vote for him. And support his effort to kill people, especially brown ones. It'd only be better if it were black ones too.

    BG mentions another thing that just stumps me; I've got nothing in common with someone who is absolutely NOT curious about anything.... All that money, and he never traveled outside the US? Shit, I've traveled that much, and I don't have anything like a family fortune to draw from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you, bp. Just have *nothing* in common with someone like that. And I know *lots* of people like that. I don't get it.

    It's not that you have to be the brightest bulb, but you don't even *care* to learn? All there is to learn? All there is to see?

    What a world we live in! And what a waste not to open you mind, your eyes...

    It's a waste of a life if you ask me. A total waste. And with Bush, not just a waste of HIS life, but so many others as well.

    I just can't stand it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah.

    It's not a question of ME being a crybaby, AG; it's a question of why aren't YOU weeping along with the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete
  7. you keep thinking that it's fallen too far, and then the asshole combination finds a new hole to sink down into. really, they define and proceed to take the term cobag to new heights and lows simultaneously

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I've got nothing in common with someone who is absolutely NOT curious about anything"

    I live around so many people like that right now. I truly felt blindsided. It took me awhile to realize there are people who fail to use their imaginations and really don't care about expanding their views or their repertoire. I'm not even talking about HUGE advances either, just normal day-to-day curiosity.

    I really try not to judge. Who am I to say my approach is better. It's not. I just can't imagine not wondering about things, not wanting to find out what the other side is like, not wanting to see what I can get out of it to change, be better, have a better grasp.

    I'm rambling. Maybe they have it right. It's all cut and dried.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man. I totally judge the dolts in our neighborhood. In my mind, of course. But still. And I'm not even ashamed to admit it. Because I *do* believe learning about and/or paying attention to your surroundings is *essential.* Absolutely 100% essential!

    How 'bout that new lady on The View that didn't know whether the earth was round or flat? Has the woman never seen a globe?

    Has she never seen a shot of the earth from space?

    Not knowing that is not the better way. And her excuse was because she's raising kids? Hello? What's she teaching them?

    Ugh. I'm sounding mean.

    Billy, Here's something that'll make your head explode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have anything else to add except I just completely and wholeheartedly agree.

    and when I think how excited I was last November, it just makes me want to cry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. careful, Kathleen.

    AG will ridicule you if you admit crying.

    ReplyDelete