Friday, February 09, 2007

You've Got A Cold

You've Got A Cold
by 10cc


Your nose is runnin'
And your eyes are red
Your head is achin'
You'd be better in bed
From the bottom of your fever
To the throbbing in your toes

You've got a cold
You've got a cold
You're searching madly
To find a cure
But the mercury's rising
To a hundred and four
You've got a beauty, a bad ass
The mother of them all
You've got a cold
You've got a cold

Ain't no use in fightin' it
Get into bed and try to sweat it out
Hot toddies won't help you
Warm blankets won't sweat it out
Inhalants just choke you
Hot flushes will tell you
Anyway you've got it
Ain't no doubt about it
Nothin' new about
You can scream and shout it
Hot toddies won't help you
Warm blankets won't sweat it out

Inhalants just choke you
Hot flushes will tell you
Anyway you've got it
Ain't no doubt about it
Nothin' new about
You can't fight it

Foreign bodies in your Kleenex
You've got no taste at all
While your system is dyin'
The bugs are havin' a ball
You've got a beauty, a bad ass
The mother of them all
You've got a cold
You've got a cold


I've got a cold.

Or Captain Trips.

My nose feels like its been reamed out by a zucchini. A small army of indefatigable angry elves are running throughout my sinus cavities in tiny SUVs, bouncing off the sides and leaving debris everywhere they go. When I sneeze, it hurts in my colon. When I cough, my eyes throb. As a matter of fact, my eyes feel like tiny evil Chester Thompsons and Phil Collins are doing their drum duet on the back of them. It goes on and on and on..... My joints in my fingers and toes are filled with broken glass. INFECTED broken glass. I haven't eaten anything in 24 hours, because it all tastes like used kleenex. As a matter of fact, I should keep count of the used kleenex in case it starts disappearing. How could I tell?

My throat isn't raw- yet. It's just kind of generally throbbing, in counterpoint to the drums behind my eyes. I have taken enough Sudafed to knock down a heffalump, and the world has slowed down to a crawl.

To top it off, I've been spending the week beating clients for money. What is it about Architects that makes every client think we don't have overhead or costs, and can wait for their payment, or even worse, do their work for free? Fuckwads. Most people don't do that kind of shit to plumbers, or other contractors. This shit is pretty damn old, and I am starting to think I may have to rip one of their heads off and nail it over our door as a warning.


So here is a Friday random something or other- because I'll be fucked if I take the heat for ruining Zelmo's weekend.

96.4 gigs- just short of 25,000 songs.

1. Queen's Tattoos from the album “High Land, Hard Rain” by Aztec Camera Did we ever play the hell out of this album in college. Whatever happened to Roddy Frame?
2. Woman In Chains from the album “iTunes Originals - Tears for Fears” by Tears for Fears Have you heard the version of “Mad World ” from Donnie Darko? Incredible, haunting version of a good song.
3. Hide Away from the album “Blah Blah Blah” by Iggy Pop Iggy's never had a cold. Well, not that he could tell from withdrawal symptoms. This is pretty slick production; more China Girl than I wanna Be Your Dog.
4. Holy Ground from the album “I [Shamrock] NY” by Seanchai Irish hip-hop from a former police officer from NY. Split from Black 47 several years ago. This is a way mellow song with a female singer and the good ol uihleean pipes.
5. Stop This Car (Motor mix) from the album “Straight Eight Bushwaker” by The Woodentops Another short lived brit band from the 80's
6. How You've Grown from the album “Our Time in Eden” by 10,000 Maniacs
7. The Stand (Prophecy) from the album “Declaration (Remastered)” by The Alarm Listening to the Alarm a lot recently. The music has stood up pretty well, if you like that urgent, propulsive sound that U2 brought to the fore.
8. The Trees from the album “Different Stages 2” by Rush dude. Dude. Almost as overplayed as Stairway, eh? I don't care, I still like it, and Geddy wil beat your ass with a Rickenbacker bass. Alright, Peart still needed some work on his lyrics; but we were all so YOUNG then, sheesh....
9. Dreams Of Children from the album “Compact Snap!” by The Jam A nice piece of punky pop from the eighties also. Great rolling bass at the bridge. I bought this vinyl when it came out and played it to death.
10. Water Suite: The Fishing Song from the album “Americana Gothic” by The Mayflies They were called The Letterpress Opry last time they played Milwaukee. Apparently they got their copyright on the name resolved. They're from Iowa, and I love these guys. Kind of an alt-americana sound, but they have a couple of songs that go into a dark, rambling sound.... I picked up on them from their cover of a Sally Timms, song, Junk Barge. So that's today's Mekons connection.

bonus:

11. Crazy Crazy Angel from the album “First Band on The Moon” by Sigmund Snopek III excellent song. (actually, it's by the band Snopek, not Siggy; but I got them all filed under Sig on my iTunes. Silent Mike and I go see him on occasional Mondays at Linnemanns (First and Third Mondays) Although it's more usually Mike than me. This is a proggy-pop song that has some profound instrumental noodling in the middle. Of course, Byron Wiemann on vox, with a proto-rap dialogue in the middle that name-checks Eddie Haskell and ends by shouting “Give me some of that Rock N Roll Hell!!” Was always one of the live high points of those 80's shows. C'mon Harpo.

12. Solitary Song from the album “Live Mayors” by Jon Langford and His Sadies
13. All Her Favorite Fruit from the album “Key Lime Pie” by Camper Van Beethoven


That's all I can manage.

8 comments:

  1. Zinc tablets.

    And lots of vitamin C.

    It doesn't really do much, but at least you can feel like you're fighting back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My recent playlist:

    Gomez – Flavors
    The Forms – Black Metal
    Suicidal Tendencies – Emotion No. 13
    Genesis – The Return of The Giant Hogweed
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Ha Ha High Babe
    Eagles of Death Metal – So Easy
    Warren Zevon – A Certain Girl
    Catherine Wheel – Chrome
    The Flaming Lips – The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song
    Doves – Black and White Town
    Coheed & Cambria – In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3
    TV On The Radio – Wolf Like Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg to differ.

    I'm going with what Bill Hicks would refer to as 'heroic doses of Nyquil' The spinny room effect is just bonus.


    The Doves are killing me lately. That new album is shiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about the new Shins?

    POP-PY !

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're not paying attention.

    Nobody's apying me. I got no money for new music, me. Gotta rely on my emusic allowance, while I can.

    Never try to tell me that owning your own business is the fucking American Dream. Maybe if your a sickening greedhead born on third base like Dick Fuck off Cheney or George Torture-Boy Bush.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Camper V.B., AG is impressed!

    And yes, architects take over priviledged peeps shit. Even worse is when you do public works stuff like schools. You know one architecture firm with many years of experience versus 800 know-it-all parents who want everything for free.

    AG will never do that job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, AG, I fear BP will never do that job either!

    I am, however, a big Camper Van fan. Saw them open for REM in the way-back, and got to see them on their latest tour just a couple years ago. David Lowery plays an iBook.

    ReplyDelete