Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Triumph of The Swill

Tucker Carlson is a posturing, preening, overbearing Twit.

Being completely pwn3d by Jon Stewart seems to have permanently broken the man's self-esteem. I'm not even talking about the most ungainly episode of Dancing with The Stars, ever. (Subtitled (Dork Of The Dance. Even a professional partner and sitting in a chair for 30% of the performance couldn't make him look good)

In his most recent bout of acting out (if my son does something like this... Oh let's be realistic. We've raised our son better than this; He would NEVER behave like this to another person. I hope the elder Carlsons are embarrassed; but knowing the prudish self righteousness prevalent in the Upper Class, I am guessing they won't be)...

Starting Over.

Tucker Carlson, bowtied Media Twit. Goes into video store. Accompanied by unidentified 'gal pal'. Is waited on by typical Video Clerk. Who happens to be a blogger, known as Chuckles.

Hey, bloggers like us, we post almost anything, right, dreams, desires, a good B.M., embarrassing moments... hell, my last post was about running over a little kid with my car. Our lives are down on these pages.

So of course, Chuckles does a bit of blogging about this Brush With 'Greatness'. Read it for yourself; maybe it's less than complimentary; but there is nothing there that comprises anything like a threat. Plover at 3Bulls really dices the whole post, in a way that exposes how meaningless and trite it really was. This is what sends Carlson over the edge?

It is a symptom of the overwhelming privilege of the moneyed elite in this country, exacerbated by the 'We Got Ours' mentality implicit in the actions of the Republican Rulers in the last twelve years. Theirs is the power, and the rest of us, we are obligated to bow and scrape if we want a few paltry scraps from the Tables of Plenty. It's been called Trickle Down; but it is designed to be at the mercy of the Powerful.

The true, petty, vindictive nature of these people can be glimpsed occasionally in savage episodes like this. Having relatively little power amongst the True Animals in his coterie, Tucker responds with blind fury when he receives anything but Fawning Admiration from one of the Masses; and being aware of his true powerlessness, becomes indignant over imagined slights and perceived threats, responding with inbred and over-privileged hatred and fury. Apparently, he threatened the Video Store Owner with legal action, so they fired Chuckles.

How petty, humorless, and tyrannical.

Tucker's fifteen minutes have long expired. He has apparently been made aware of that by a lowly Video Store Clerk ,and the knowledge Burns. Oh, it hurts. But that doesn't give him any kind of justification for acting like a penny ante TV show Mr. Potter, ruining people's lives for shits and giggles through his Dad's Attorneys.

Carlson, all of us here in The Normal World regret to inform you that we are not able to regard a humorless, insignificant Cable-TV cardboard prop such as yourself in line with what you apparently feel is sufficient reverence. Any inconvenience this causes, is known as DAILY LIFE. Go bite a slug.

Chuckles has Strapped On, and his subsequent post shows no mercy to the Two Bit BowTie; even postulating the possibility of legal action against someone who claimed to be Tucker's Lawyer, after they spent some time harassing one of Chuckles' co-workers. As I had said somewhere else, I Am Not a Lawyer, but it seems to me that Chuckles might be eligible for a Wrongful Termination suit. At a minimum, his promise of legal action against Mr. Carlson for harassment seems to be a good bit more valid than Tucker's original veiled threats.

Pinko Punko also slices Tucker up a treat ,while summoning the spirit of Bon Scott, a nice move. Clif terms it the Insolence of Wealth, a nice turn of phrase. Freedom Camp also has some good response. I merely put it here, to spread the word in my meager way, helping to push the knowledge towards the Hundredth Monkey.

Secondarily, I want to make it plain that I have no affiliation with that sniveling bastard Tucker Carlson in any way, I appointed myself Temporary Costello when I started this damn blog, intending to come up with a better Nom du Blogue at some point. In recent days, I have taken to signing my posts elsewhere as TC, for short. You can see the issue there. So as of now, I'm going to be signing my posts as.... Jack Montag Billy Pilgrim .


Tucker Carlson needs, DESERVES, a beatdown, but in this America, where Money makes right and inheriting Power proves your worth, I do not expect to see it. Tucker Carlson, who has never done a thing of value other than being lucky in his parentage, can kiss my pale hairy ass, and smile while he does it. Putz.

8 comments:

  1. Nicely done TC, er, Billy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Billy. The opening (and your previous nom de blog) reminded me of Elvis Costello's famous performance on Saturday Night Live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool.

    I will admit to being fairly lucky in my parentage. I have always been secure in the knowledge that if I needed help it was there for me, but if I needed money I should go get myself another job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here Chuckles. No sense of privilege; plus, having spent plenty of time in service sector jobs (restaurants, caddying, paper delivery, manual labor) savage treatment of people in those positions makes me furious.


    Boy, the story has really developed some legs, hasn't it?

    Intertubes to Tucker: Pwn3d!!1!1Eleven!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Billy Pilgrim? From Slaughterhouse 5, yes? Well, I'm not sure BP is a trade up from tc, but I can see your dilemma.

    Interestingly, The Figgs just came on my computer as I was writing this. Kinda spooky. Out of curiousity, is Slow Charm one of their stronger or less interesting albums? Curious to know from a Figgs afficionado.

    One of the biggest problem most, maybe all, of the right of center and far-right commentators have is that they have virtually no ability to make fun of themselves or of anybody of similar thinking. It's all so bloody serious. Lighten up, dudes. I will give the left more credit with that-- Al Franken, for example, can be annoying at times, but he is funny, and willing and able to poke fun at his own foibles as well as others.

    Happy New Year, BP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well,, I'm always at a loss for a good handle. My real name sucks on the web.

    How did you come across the Figgs? I saw them on TV on an old Comedy Central show, Viva Variety, backing up Graham Parker, and even with that, was really impressed by the energy. So we went to see them when they swung through town (it was like 8 bucks at a dive, and something like twenty people) and they just rocked so hard.

    Slow Charm is pretty good, kind of in the middle. It's part of the newer stuff, so they are a little slowed down, maybe. Metal Detector and the Trench are both favorites.

    The New One, Follow Jean, is exceptionally strong, as is Sucking in Stereo; teh older stuff is more unreserved power pop. Palais, the double disc, has more variety on it.

    Happy new year back, and thanks. Since last year ended on kind of a downer (see recent post) It's been nothing but UP so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brush with The Figgs is your fault, BP. Well, tangentially anyway.

    Our university's radio station recently went completely digital, so they donated their CD's to the library. Several thousand of them. The last day of our library's book sale, you can get everything you can fit in a grocery bag for a buck. So, I loaded up on a number of books, and then topped the bag off with CD's which were free since I was paying the same amount regardless of how many I took. Slow Charm was one of the discs, and I remembered you raving about them, so I gave it a run.

    It's erratic imho. A few of the songs are quite good, but a few others I just click through on my mp3 player. There's definitely potential there, and I would like to seem them live, but overall the album rates about a B- in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably a fair assessment, Slow Charm may not be the best introduction.

    Most of the stuff loses a bit of energy translating from live to recorded. I think they have a live effort coming out; otherwise they do have the first volume of a retrospective out, with plans for a second, that probably serve as a better intro.

    Otherwise it's kind of hard to say what a good introduction to the band would be outside of seeing them perform; I can't see beyond the bias of knowing most of these songs as live versions. They rarely play some of my favorites, like "Step Back Let's Go Pop", "Tint", or "Bob".

    Sucking in Stereo comes closest to the live energy, IMHO; but some of their best writing was on some earlier work like Banda Macho and Low Fi at Society High.

    Hey! They posted my blog entry on their News Page! http://thefiggs.net/news.html (scroll down a bit) Cool!

    ReplyDelete