Friday, September 15, 2006

Good golly Miss Molly



Tom Servo: “I think a promising young singer is hopped up on goofballs” But no, that's just Little Richard.



In another universe, Craig Kilborn hosted the Daily Show. Funny guy; the Five Questions was always pretty good. When he left, I was dubious about Jon Stewart pulling off the changeover, I admit.

But damn, they've gotten good. Forget he Emmys; give them a Pulitzer

A recent study indicated that in general, TDS viewers had a greater and more accurate understanding of current events than people who watched FoxNews. And never mind O'Reilly's legions. In fact, you have to know what's going on to understand the jokes.

But Little Richard vamping to GWB's speeches? F-in brilliant.

This Friday is for Little Richard. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy!


1. Anymore Time Between from the album “Bob Mould” by Bob Mould
2. Green Suede Shoes from the album “Green Suede Shoes” by Black 47 Ah. My favorite punky hip hoppish New York alternative band fronted by a short red-haired Irish expatriate. I've seen them filed under folk music, no lie.
3. I Believe In Something from the album “Live At Least” by Too Much Joy Another band from New York, sadly defunct. They flirted with popularity for a short time, even having a near-hit on MTV (back when they showed music. I know, it's hard to believe) Great live show though, and they once toured with the Mekons, immortalizing the experience in the song “If I Was A Mekon”. So There's this week's Mekons connection!
4. Underwater Moonlight from the album “Underwater Moonlight” by The Soft Boys Classic Album. Classic Song. One of the best albums you've never heard. Pinko Punko loves it, and really, what more do you need?
5. Gill & Vicky from the album “I Have Been to Heaven and Back” by Mekons Hey wait! More Mekons!
6. Vacation from the album “Just Can't Get Enough: NEW WAVE Hits of the '80s, Vol. 5” by The Go-Go's Summerfest.
7. When He Reached Down from the album “Unearthed IV: My Mother's Hymn Book” by Johnny Cash
7.5. chicken_puppet
8. Reoccurring Dreams from the album “Zen Arcade” by Hüsker Dü Bob Mould and the Huskers. Seems to be a theme. This is a noisy bit that points more toward the Sonic Youth spectrum than the punk/pop that they finished up with. But no worries, it's all good. Loud.
9. It's Alright / It's OK from the album “Under Attack” by The Alarm
10. I Hope from the album “Taking the Long Way” by Dixie Chicks Yes, I own a Dixie Chicks album.



Finally, Scientific study shows that rock music makes you study more good. Take That, Manilow!

In honor of that, here's some bonus random. I don't know how many Nick; higher math has blown out my ability to count.


11. My Girl from the album “The Business (Disc 1)” by Madness
12. The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota from the album “Permanent Record - Al In The Box [Disc 3]” by Weird Al Yankovic
13. It Ain't Nothin' to Me from the album “Pack Up the Plantation (Live)” by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers More Summerfest.
14. Up And Out from the album “Kicks & Deals” by Blue In The Face Local horn-fueled power pop from the eighties/nineties. My buddy Scary Joe mixed for them. He was the best mixer I ever heard. Still works Summerfest every year.
15. Tell It Like It Is from the album “Rat In The Kitchen” by UB40

No comments:

Post a Comment