Friday, April 07, 2006

Face The Music

Okay, lighten up Francis. Time for the Friday Random whatever, the ongoing futile saga of an insecure middle aged man's quest to prove that he still has some modicum of coolness.

Dedicated to nobody but me this week, baby. This one's all mine.



1. Death or Glory from the album “London Calling” by The Clash Shit. great song. Great start. And as an added bonus, in the Modern, High Tech Paranoid World, sing along and you go to jail! Bonus! “I believe in this/ it's been tested by research/ He who fucks nuns/ will later join the Church” My friend Ror got kicked off a college radio station for playing this song.

2. For What It's Worth from the album “Feedback” by Rush Another one for me. Although the best version of this song was probably done by the Muppets on the old Muppet Show, complete with idiotic hunters shooting at random, eventually bringing down a tree and a tractor. I can swear I saw Dead Eye Dick Cheney in there.

3. Prince of Darkness - The Big Zombie from the album “I Have Been to Harehills and Back- A Tribute to the Mekons” by Various Artists A private tribute album put together by the Mekons yahoo list. Two for me.

4. I Wanna Be Your Dog (Live) from the album “I Wanna Be Your Dog (Sessions@AOL) - Single” by Iggy Pop

5. Desperado from the album “American IV: The Man Comes Around” by Johnny Cash We watched “Walk The Line” last weekend, so I've been listening to a fair amount of The Man In Black. What's his name did a decent job as Johnny, but couldn't match that deep, biblical tone that send shivers down your spine and makes your arm hair stand up.

6. The Nights The Lights When Out In Georgia - Vic Chestnutt from the album “Star Power” by Various Artists - Pravda Records Vic Chesnutt is an obscure genius. I first got turned on to his music through a benefit album for his medical costs (another musician who can't get health insurance). One drawback to Universal Health Care would be that musicians wouldn't have the need to do all these benefit albums when their compatriots get sick.

7. All Over Now from the album “Ultimate Collection” by Aimee Mann Aimee Mann is great, but she was overshadowed by her husband Michael Penn.

8. Forest Fire from the album “Plastic Surgery Disasters/In God We Trust, Inc.” by Dead Kennedys Jello threatens the California bourgeiousie (someone check if I spelled that right)

9. Shame from the album “Adore” by Smashing Pumpkins

10. Parking Lot from the album “Today” by Galaxie 500 Very cool Velvet influenced alternative music


And some bonus tunes, because again, this FRT is all about ME:

11. My God from the album “Aqualung” by Jethro Tull I like it for the lyrics:

People -- what have you done --
locked Him in His golden cage.
Made Him bend to your religion --
Him resurrected from the grave.
He is the god of nothing --
if that's all that you can see.
You are the god of everything --
He's inside you and me.
So lean upon Him gently
and don't call on Him to save you
from your social graces
and the sins you used to waive.
The bloody Church of England --
in chains of history --
requests your earthly presence at
the vicarage for tea.
And the graven image you-know-who --
with His plastic crucifix --
he's got him fixed --
confuses me as to who and where and why --
as to how he gets his kicks.
Confessing to the endless sin --
the endless whining sounds.
You'll be praying till next Thursday to
all the gods that you can count.
12. Add It Up from the album “Violent Femmes (Live 1982)” by Violent Femmes This is about the time I first saw the Femmes. Another one for me, who'd'a thunk it? More punk attitude in one song than Blink 182 could ever manage in a career's worth of albums.

13. I Never Did Like Planes from the album “Georgia Hard” by Robbie Fulks I love me some Robbie Fulks. Catch him if you can, he's a rocking country star on the Bloodshot roster.



Thirteen works for me. So that's another Friday. Since it was all about me, I'd give this one a ten, maybe even one louder and go to eleven.


Go do something stupid, dangerous, or illegal, and Come back here and report on it.

2 comments: