Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Tell Balgeary, Balgury is Dead

You know me. Can't resist the meme. Especially when it involves music.

This time, I'm pilfering it from the lovely and talented Mac at Pesky Apostrophe.

So. The meme. It asks questions, you put your media player on “shuffle” and let it answer the questions. No cheating. Sure, a lot of it won’t make sense, but some of them are funny anyway.
How does the world see you?
We've Got A Bigger Problem Now- Dead Kennedys. Well played, iPod, well played. About Emperor Ronald Reagan, the man who inspired me to never become a conservative. California Uber Alles.

Will I have a happy life?
Sherry Darling-Bruce Springsteen. That's relatively meaningless.

What do my friends really think of me?
Promise Not To Tell- Split Lip Rayfield. That's what they say. Don't ask if you don't want to know. In psychotic punk bluegrass.

Do people secretly lust after me?
Once Around The Weekend - Paul Westerberg. Uh huh. That's not very helpful.

How can I make myself happy?
I'm A Rocker- Bruce Springsteen. Well it takes two Springsteen tracks, but that's pretty much bang on. Time to turn up and practice.

What should I do with my life?
Visions of Johanna- Robyn Hitchcock doing a cover of Dylan. He introduces it as his favorite song, and the reason he started writing songs. Maybe related to the question above?

Will I ever have children?
Forever - Cracker. Trick question. Already have one. I guess it got it right.

What is some good advice for me?
Wipeout- the Meat Puppets. Alright, dude. reading way too much into this random selection, I'd say it's related to one of the previous posts about the dangers of too much moderation, so I need to do something stupidly dangerous. Time to sign up for skydiving or get a motorcycle.

How will I be remembered?
Winning Side - Oingo Boingo. Hopelessly optimistic.

What is my signature song?
Charlotte Sometimes - The Cure. Now that's weird, because Mac got this song for the first question . Moody and dark though; that's probably not too far off the mark.

What do I think my current theme song is?
Obsessed with Aretha- Graham Parker. It's a song about selling out and fakery:

You get a lot of girl singers obsessed with Aretha
You get a lot of little swingers wishin' they could be her
Some of those sisters can rock and roll
All God's children gotta little bit of soul
But not that much no no no not that much

You get a lot of fat Christians you want to throw to the lions
Put em in a barrel, roll em off the top of Mount Zion
Ignorant acceptance is their only aim
With Jesus your life'll be better they claim
But not that much no no no not that much

Yeah but when you hear Aretha singing on some advertisement
Or with a big fussy band on some rock'n'roll museum concert
She's still got the lungs and the dress and the stole
You might even say the girl's still got soul
But not that much no no no not that much

You get a lot of little monkeys swingin' from the treetops
You get a lot of little flunkeys singin' on Top of the Pops
Some of them appear in the gutter press Tellin' you their lives are a mess
But not that much no no no not that much

You get a lot of little stringers pullin' out their penknives
Cuttin' up history Jugglin' with lives
Bein' a reporter is a glamorous trade
You don't even have to tell the truth to get paid
Well not that much no no no not that much

Yeah but when you hear Aretha singing on some adver tise ment
Or with a big fussy band on some hall of fame concert
She's still got the lungs and the dress and the mink stole
You might even say the girl's still got soul
But not that much no no no not that much
Not bad. I'll buy it.

What does everyone else think my current theme song is?
The Sprawl - sonic Youth

What song will play at my funeral?
When The Generals Talk- Midnight Oil. Someone write that down and make sure it happens, right?

What type of men/women do I like?
Stars are Stars - Echo and The Bunnymen. I don't even like stars, I'd say.

What is my day going to be like?
The Cheerleaders- The Minutemen. This doesn't bode well.
past: will the nation grow? Prosperity may last.
Can we look at the problems ahead?
With our heads in the sand, we might as well be dead!
Cheer him on:
"The Leader Of The Team." He'll push on through at all cost to win!
But are we free to think for ourselves or doomed to repeat our mistakes?
Can you hear them call your name?
Can you count the lives they take?
Do you have to see the body bags before you make a stand?
Just a little bit too late. Watch the cheerleaders call our their names on the sidelines.
They can feel the players sweat.
I wonder if that is all they see?
All the rallies will never set them free!
d Boon wrote that in 1985. Could have been last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment