Friday, July 22, 2005

Just a Bit Outside...

Don't tell me about the world. Not today. It's springtime and they're knocking baseball around fields where the grass is damp and green in the morning and the kids are trying to hit the curve ball. ~Pete Hamill

"The biggest thrill a ballplayer can have is when your son takes after you. That happened when my Bobby was in his championship Little League game. He really showed me something. Struck out three times. Made an error that lost the game. Parents were throwing things at our car and swearing at us as we drove off. Gosh, I was proud." ~Bob Uecker



TBogg has a brilliant, beautiful post about baseball up at his site.

It starts as a discussion of the new version of The Bad News Bears (likely the MOST useless remake in the history of... well, forever. All props to Billy Bob, but just how can you improve on the original?) And segues into a discussion of his daughter's baseball career. But what it really is, of course, is a love letter to his daughter. Neither here nor there; he's entitled.

My son played Little League for the first time this summer, he's ten. So he started a bit later than some, but we've never really tried to push him into any sports or things like that (although my wife does really emphasize trying to get him to start a musical instrument or theater) and this year, he expressed some interest. Mainly because one of his best friends (remember when we used to have BEST friends?) is in the league, and one of the better players.

Fortunately, our city LL teams are handled and coached by some great guys, who really emphasize the fun part, and letting all the kids play, giving them experience at various areas and practice at all the various skills. I can't compliment the league, and our Coach Dave, enough.

E had a ball. Although being my son, he had the handicap of my innate natural anti-athleticism to overcome. He did well, and I hope to help him hone those skills throwing and catching. I hope he decides to stick with it a bit; My brother was a very good catcher for his high school team, so athletic ability is not completely unknown in our family. E's team actually did quite well.

I made it a point to make almost all of his games. As a matter of fact, last week when I had to miss one game due to some extra work to be done, I happened to see this over at Something Awful. ouch.


In high school, I spent some time working with the coaches for a couple of local Little League teams; although never having the real skill to be good at baseball, I learned the finer points of playing the game, so it was great to see E playing and learning the game. As long as the coaches can keep the game from getting overly competitive, I hope he decides to stick with it.

Tbogg talks about the inclusion of girls on the teams. When I was a kid, of course, girls couldn't play on the boy's teams. Too frail, you know (boy's egos, I mean). E's team had 2 girls on it, and both of them were better than most of the boys. To their credit, the boys had absolutely no problem with it that I could see. Players are players. It's one of those things that gives you hope.

Aw, dang it, just go read Tbogg.

1 comment:

  1. I was never big into baseball growing up. Football, basketball and golf. Maybe volleyball (when you're talking actually playing). I've come to appreciate the game later in life-- both at the pro and little league levels.

    Particularly the latter these last two years, because I've been the assistant coach for my daughter's team. Not actual Little League (with the capital letters), but competitive kid baseball, nonetheless. Great fun.

    She's been in the 5-7 category, but next year she moves up to 8-10. Big step I hear. We'll see how she does.

    Regardless, I know it is fun working with the kids at this age because it seems like there's just a moment when they GET it. Go from hearing what you're saying but not being able to really execute, to just... getting it. It's so much fun to see.

    Anyway, since I was considering a baseball post and saw yours, I felt a need to comment. Nice job. I love the Uecker quote. It will be a sad day when he hangs it up as the voice of the Brewers.

    I suppose I also wish to say that I hope you don't take the post I just made about radical Islam too personally. The War on Terror is a hot button for me, I guess, so if I've misinterpreted or overstated what you said, let me know.

    ReplyDelete