Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Misunderstanding

Since I don't have Snag's talent for satirical lyrics or a Presidency like Pinko, again I steal a meme from YesJennifer, Cookie Queen and Snacktator Couterier.

Can't resist the memes.

My one uncle:  Is a stone cold racist. Once referred to the neighborhood I live in as 'Jewtown'.   West Virginia, you know.  But regardless, early one morning while he was visiting, us kids  were sleeping in the breezeway and he woke us up by dancing out to get his SECOND beer of the day.

Never in my life:   Have I been one of the Kewl Kidz.


When I was five: I went to Sauk Trail grade school.  it was flat.

High school was: where I was between 14 and 18.  Not much more.

I will never forget:
Funny story.  A long time ago, I got a job, after college.  after a brilliantly rough couple of week with a legendarily horrible boss, I settled into a role as designer for a midsize firm; make or break.  One of the first buildings I designed there, a nothing little Interstate rest stop/ truckstop in IL.  Nothing in the way of architecture, the sitework cost more than the building.  BUT; after it was built, I took the road trip down to see it.  It was the first time I ever had the chance to actually WALK THROUGH something that had existed, for me, only on paper.  Magic, of a sort.

I still get that feeling on the rare chances I get to build something.

PS.  That building served as a location for a mid-level movie release.  Can you imagine the tickle from seeing my building in a movie?  still not as cool as the feeling I talked about above.
Once I met: Matthew Sweet.  we talked about illness.

There's this girl I know: Who almost knocked me dead.

Once at a bar: I had a good time.

By noon, I'm usually: Looking for an excuse to start drinking.

Last night: My back was too effed up to do a workout.  which is a shame, because Caturday I have my final (hopefully) midterm.  Not incidentally, Young Pilgrim is also testing for 2nd that day (no jinxing)

If I only had: a brain.  No wait; If I only had a rich Patrone.  Umm, maybe if I only had a smidgen of musical talent.  A motorcycle.  a life.  A dog who was less orange, or maybe just farted less.  I'm a simple man.

Next time I go to church:  Both the Church and I  will remain the same; willing to uneasily tolerate each other's existence as long as we do not have to regularly interact.

What worries me most: O let's maybe not get into it.

What I miss most about the 1980's: Youth.  exuberance.  a future.

If I were a Shakespeare character, I'd be: The Fool

A better name for me would be:
Nigel. Nigel the fool.  It's got a ring.

I have a hard time understanding: Greed.  I mean, I want to make money.  But it's not my driving force.  I would like to have money like Murdoch;  but once you have that much, what's the point?  power?  I see more power in the ability to improve the built environment, and from that point, I think I could make the case I've already exceeded people like Murdoch, Cheney, GWB...

If I ever go back to school:  Back in architectural school and grad school, many of my fellow students often expressed the desire to work 'in the real world'.  I never understood it.  In the realm of codes, gravity, budgets, and lawsuits?  In archy school, you could design any damn thing and only worry about exploration and getting it done by presentation time.   If I ever go back to school, I will never, ever leave again.

You know I like you if:  I give you music.

Take my advice, never: buy or build a house for the person you sell it to.  Unless you're a developer.  in which case, call me?

My ideal breakfast is:   Scrambled eggs and english muffins.  I'm a simple man.

Why won't people: Give me tons of money to provide them with house that enrich their lives?

The world could do without: Cars.  Seriously.

My favorite blonds are: My son.  And my wife, when she's in a blond mood.

If I do anything well, it's: Funny story.  I never planned to be an architect.  I started college as an engineer.  when that didn't seem to be panning out, I touched base with a room mate's prof, who said  "hey, don't worry about there being no jobs (thank you Reagan), architecture is a great profession."  I started drawing buildings and unearthed an obsession that will only end when I do. It even overwhelmed the noisy thing.    If I do anything well, it's what I do when I get the opportunity to do it.  If I can't do it anymore... well, it turns out I don't feel much like doing anything.  Maybe that's not such a funny story.

And by the way:
 I love all you people who come by to comment here.  I love all of you.

24 comments:

  1. You know I like you if: I give you music.

    That's a pretty line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm envious that your talent allows you to build something concrete and permanent. It reminds of the scene in Breaking Away where the dad takes his son to see the building created with the stones he'd cut. What do I show my kids? Piles of paper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't read the whole thing yet because I was so distracted by YOUR TYPO!!! Did you do that on purpose? Were you just throwing me a bone?

    Couterier???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice meme, RM. I agree with Snag, I'm jealous that you actually produce something.

    And no fooling, my word verification is "piller." CREEPY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a goober! You peppered this entire post with typos...

    I want to know which rest stop it was... and which movie.

    I also love the process of having something in your head, seeing it on paper, and then poof, it's real!! I can only imagine it's magnified a zillion times when it's a building.

    You'll design a house for me some day. I just know it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, you'll never know....

    brando, You can't say you never produced anything when you look every day, probably every hour, on your lovely daughter? It's a trite POV, maybe, but I know how it feels and all my whinging notwithstanding, it's enough, all by itself. It is.

    But I will DESTROY blogger if they persist in misspelling verification words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. But I will DESTROY blogger if they persist in misspelling verification words.

    LOL!

    Yeah, I don't produce a damn thing either. Except for lots of BS. With the amount of home equity and line of credit direct mail offers I've designed and produced in the last three years, you might say I'm even helping to destroy the country!

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BG- why do you hate America so??

    fyi- my verification word is "imeth"... I'm assuming a new addictive product from Apple?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have said, "Producing something in my work." No one ever aspires to be a marketer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer, apparently the Macs aren't selling so well.... go with a proven product. It's a strategic move.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You love all? You stole that from Hard Rock.

    AG does not love all. That's just how AG rollz...

    ReplyDelete
  12. p.s. I never got nothing from you. Not even a Barry Manilow download.

    And I better see AG on the blond list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is Blogger having another stroke or was the FULL PAGE COMMENT SECTION intentional?

    AG- wasn't there muzik in your Bribe-Off package? That counts as love... even if it had strings attached...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love you too! And I love this post!! Now, can you send me some music?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel compelled to comment, but only to secure RM's love.

    My verification word is stinizad, which is spelled correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and you don't need a patrone, you need a PatrĂ³n.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will trade beer for music.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't remember -- I don't think there was music, Jen.

    OMFG!!! I am at Citizens Park right now. We WON.

    The city is crazy.

    And he is in Los Angeles. Without me...

    OMG. My friends are all calling and texting me. Well, the ones not next to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. O there was music, AG. But you banned it.

    fish, what I need is a Patrone with Patron.

    Zelmo's been gone so long I forgot what kind of music he likes. New Kids on The Block, I think....

    ReplyDelete
  20. New Kids on the Block is the new black.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There was?! Hmmm... my memory of the past few years has been erased. I suppose that is why I might not remember.

    Too bad, because some things about it were actually accurate.

    Oh wells.

    Get on Facebook, my mans! We can share our music there. And have some free love...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have no problem sending beer to exchange for music. But I thought if there is love, there will be music.
    I.just.want.mUsIc.

    ReplyDelete
  23. ummm, yeah, AG. As great a blond as you may be, I don't think you're going to bump Young pilgrim or my wife down that list.

    Besides, you CLEARLY fall under the last line...


    Working on it, Von! Working on it!!

    ReplyDelete